How many?

The place to discuss learning languages
Sobekhotep

Re: How many?

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 25 Apr 2009 11:05 pm

Jayan wrote:How long per day (if you're studying every day) should you study for each language?

I'd recommend at least 15 minutes daily, but no more than 2 hours. Too much studying takes the fun out & it makes your brain hurt. :)
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ

Jayan

Postby Jayan » Sun 26 Apr 2009 3:14 am

Sobekhotep wrote:
Jayan wrote:How long per day (if you're studying every day) should you study for each language?

I'd recommend at least 15 minutes daily, but no more than 2 hours. Too much studying takes the fun out & it makes your brain hurt. :)

How does one utilize those 15-30 minutes to the greatest effect?
Native/Fluent: English (on a good day :P)
Pursuing fluency: Dansk
Entertaining self with: 日本語
Up next: русский язык
Eventually: Gaeilge|Deutsch|Kiswahili|Suomi

Sobekhotep

Postby Sobekhotep » Mon 27 Apr 2009 10:29 pm

Jayan wrote:How does one utilize those 15-30 minutes to the greatest effect?

Well, I think different people will have different opinions. I believe that learning sentences and phrases is the best use of your time.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 28 Apr 2009 9:06 am

Sobekhotep wrote:

I agree. I study a minimum of 15 minutes, and a maximum of 1 hour every day. I also try to write as much as I can in that language, so any notes I write to myself will be in the target language.
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska

SamD

Postby SamD » Tue 28 Apr 2009 6:52 pm

I think one at a time is usually easiest, but if you start to deal with wanderlust (like I often do), sometimes it can be helpful to add another one. Even then, I figure it's best to wait until you've been studying the first language for at least some months or a year.

Monox D. I-Fly

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Tue 24 Mar 2015 4:39 am

Back then I was greedy and wanted to learn as much languages as possible. However in my workplace there is someone who also like to learn many languages, and despite of that, he said that he wanted to only focus on two: French and German. Then I also decided to focus on two: Arabic and Japanese, because I have started learning them ever since I was an elementary student.

Yanglish

Postby Yanglish » Wed 15 Apr 2015 2:38 pm

"Better to have one sharp knife than many blunt ones."
I think this is the right proverb with regard to this case.
Why idiomag often use monkeys? Learn idioms about horses, birds.

Monox D. I-Fly

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Fri 28 Aug 2015 4:52 am

formiko wrote:There was a time when I could learn up to 4 languages at a time (they had to be from different families), although I wasn't aiming for fluency. Now I can only learn 1 or possible 2 maximum. (I'm 38 now. That doesn't help)Image

This. Learning multiple languages from the same family makes it prone to mixing words up.

Return to “Language learning”