Hello!

The place to introduce yourselves.

Hello!

Postby sheidhaf » Sun 26 Apr 2009 3:59 pm

I did introduce myself on the old forum, but because I'm not very talkative, most of you probably don't know me, so I'll introduce myself again. My real name is Jacob; Sheidhaf was my name in the original version of my conlang, Shsiowhe. Since I began on the forum my interest in conlangery has faded into a lot more of an interest in linguistics and foreign languages, not to say that I wasn't interested in the beginning, but now I've suspended work on my conlang for a while. I can speak fairly decent Modern Greek, pretty good German, a little Spanish, Russian and Chinese. I speak a dialect of English very close to SAE and I live in the middle of nowhere in Ohio. I'm 15 years old, but nobody ever notices because I'm rather tall. That should be enough information to go off of. I'm rather shy, though, so it you may not get too much more.
sheidhaf

Re: Hello!

Postby panduram » Sun 26 Apr 2009 4:07 pm

Welcome shy guy! How tall is tall? I'm asking this because it seems to be a topic at this forum. I am 1.91 mtrs., which sounds tall. But I live among tall people (the Frisians are officially the tallest nation on this planet). How is life in Ohio? Recently a met someone from Wyoming. She told me about it and I think your state is pretty much the same....
panduram

Postby sheidhaf » Sun 26 Apr 2009 6:34 pm

1.56 meters, which is just really tall for my age (about the 90th percentile). I'm not amazingly tall, just people expect me to be older.

Most people think that life is rather boring here, but I don't mind it. I've never been to Wyoming, so I can't really compare the two. Not too much goes on here; people complain about how weird the weather is (one day last week it went from 5 degrees C and rainy in the morning, to 20 degrees and sunny in the afternoon, to hailing in the evening...), but otherwise I don't really know what to say about it. Unlike Wyoming, it's almost completely flat where I live and filled with farms. It's a pretty typical U.S. state and I don't imagine there are many major cultural differences between here and Wyoming.
sheidhaf

Postby panduram » Sun 26 Apr 2009 7:20 pm

Oh dear! I imagined Ohio to be mountainous.... So it is more or less like here in the Netherlands: flat. Even the weather sounds the same: a lot of variations. Only Holland is at a sea while the state you live is in the centre of a continent. So your winters must be much colder. And it is crowded here: 16 million in just a tiny flat country full of canals, rivers, lakes, marshland... A lot is going on, never a dull moment! Before I lived in the city I stayed in the countryside and to be honest: I preferred the life overthere: nice and quiet.
panduram

Postby Jayan » Sun 26 Apr 2009 9:10 pm

Welcome! I'm from West Virginia, that wonderful, backwards, often-forgetten mountain state next to yours ;) :P

Wow, you are tall...at least compared to me :oops: Haven't measured myself in a while but last I checked I was about 1 meter...Of course I come from a shortie family
Native/Fluent: English (on a good day :P)
Pursuing fluency: Dansk
Entertaining self with: 日本語
Up next: русский язык
Eventually: Gaeilge|Deutsch|Kiswahili|Suomi
Jayan

Postby linguoboy » Mon 27 Apr 2009 1:59 am

panduram wrote:Oh dear! I imagined Ohio to be mountainous.... So it is more or less like here in the Netherlands: flat.

Part of Ohio (those adjoining West Virginia, for instance) are quite hilly, but there are no real "mountains" in the US east of the Rockies. Still, Ohio flat is not comparable to Netherlands flat. If Lake Erie somehow catastrophically rose thirty metres, it would inundate only small parts of northwest Ohio. The Low Countries would not get off so lightly if the North Sea rose by the same amount!
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Jayan » Mon 27 Apr 2009 2:22 am

Linguoboy! :x :x I know many many people who would be offended at your belittling the Appalachian mountains! Sure they're not as big as the Rockies, but they're still considered mountains by most!
Native/Fluent: English (on a good day :P)
Pursuing fluency: Dansk
Entertaining self with: 日本語
Up next: русский язык
Eventually: Gaeilge|Deutsch|Kiswahili|Suomi
Jayan

Postby linguoboy » Mon 27 Apr 2009 4:08 am

Jayan wrote:I know many many people who would be offended at your belittling the Appalachian mountains! Sure they're not as big as the Rockies, but they're still considered mountains by most!

I love the Appalachians. I grew up in the foothills of the Blue Ridge, in fact. I've also been to the top of Pike's Peak and Schauinsland and, I'm sorry, there's no comparison.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby panduram » Mon 27 Apr 2009 8:52 am

Oh give me land, lots of land under starry skies above, don't fence me in. Let me ride through the wide open country that I love, don't fence me in. Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze. Listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees. Send me off forever, but I ask you: "please, don't fence me in !"
Just turn me loose, let me straddle my old saddle underneath the western skies. On my Cayuse, let me wander over yonder till I see the mountains rise...
I want to ride to the ridge where the west commences. Gaze at the moon, till I lose my senses. I can't look at hovels and I can't stand fences. Don't fence me in!
(Cole Porter)

Inspired by this discussion I had to write this down. It's one of the songs I sing in a band. It gives me the opportunity to ask you, country guys: "What is a CAYUSE???
panduram

Postby linguoboy » Mon 27 Apr 2009 5:06 pm

All I knew before I looked it up was that it was a kind of horse. I thought it was either a breed, like the Appaloosa, or a coloration, like the palomino, but the OED glosses it thusly: " ‘A common Indian pony’ (Scribner's Mag. II. 510). Also, any horse (N. Amer. colloq.)." Wikipedia says of it "usually referring to a feral or low-quality horse or pony," but there's no citation, so I'm not sure what the "low-quality" bit is based on. The AHD calls it simply, "A horse, especially an Indian pony," and adds the label "Pacific Northwest". (The Cayuse are a nation of eastern Washington and Oregon.)
linguoboy

Next

Return to Introductions