Koshti sarla!

The place to introduce yourselves.

Koshti sarla!

Postby Weshimulo » Mon 12 Oct 2009 9:31 pm

Martin's the name, languages are the game (sorry). Seriously, I love languages for languages' sake (as opposed to learning them for a particular purpose) and always have done. I'd probably have a reasonable command of most of the languages below if I weren't so lazy...
Dosta jib moli yek jib.
epo - basic
rus - more basic
Learning or planning to learn - jpn, hun, ron, cym, isl, fas, ita, ces, pol, nor, swe, dan, lit, lat, est
Weshimulo

Re: Koshti sarla!

Postby Sobekhotep » Tue 13 Oct 2009 1:34 am

Welcome to the Omniglot forum! :mrgreen:
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Talib » Tue 13 Oct 2009 1:55 am

eng - native
deu - fluentish
fra - slightly less so
epo - basic
rus - more basic
Learning or planning to learn - jpn, hun, ron, cym, isl, fas, ita, ces, pol, nor, swe, dan, lit, lat, est
What's "fas"? Farsi?

And are you planning to learn every national language of Europe or something?
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Aeetlrcreejl » Tue 13 Oct 2009 2:18 am

Welcome. Your bags are being taken up to your room. If you have any questions, call the concierge. We hope you enjoy your stay.
Aeetlrcreejl

Postby Weshimulo » Tue 13 Oct 2009 3:42 pm

Talib wrote:What's "fas"? Farsi?

And are you planning to learn every national language of Europe or something?

Yes, "fas" is Farsi. Using the ISO 639-3 codes was the only way to fit them all on.

No, I'm not planning to learn them all - Spanish has never really interested me, for instance (to be honest, I'm not all that keen on French, really). Nor am I bothered about learning every Slavic language, although I suppose learning Czech would open up Slovak.
Dosta jib moli yek jib.
epo - basic
rus - more basic
Weshimulo

Postby Talib » Tue 13 Oct 2009 6:09 pm

Fair enough. I'm just curious why you have so many European languages and then Japanese and Farsi.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby engless » Tue 13 Oct 2009 6:16 pm

Swedish is quite easy if you already know English and German, but it's easy to get bogged down with Japanese.
engless

Postby Weshimulo » Tue 13 Oct 2009 8:31 pm

Talib wrote:Fair enough. I'm just curious why you have so many European languages and then Japanese and Farsi.

I suppose the European bias is due to my being European, although of course Hungarian and Estonian aren't Indo-European, while Farsi is. I'm interested in Farsi mainly because of the importance of Persia/Iran in world history, but also because I want to explore the similarities (and differences) between it and other IE languages. I wouldn't mind learning Quechua and Mandarin one day, but for the moment they aren't even on the radar.

engless wrote:Swedish is quite easy if you already know English and German, but it's easy to get bogged down with Japanese.

A Finn once told me that about Swedish. As for Japanese, I'm not expecting an easy ride - I just find it (so far) a wonderfully succinct language (depending on how polite you're being) and, of course, the writing system is beautiful, if a tad cumbersome. :mrgreen:
Dosta jib moli yek jib.
epo - basic
rus - more basic
Weshimulo

Postby Sobekhotep » Wed 14 Oct 2009 2:50 am

engless wrote:Swedish is quite easy if you already know English and German

Yet I was told that it's almost impossible to master the tonal accent properly, even if you are a native speaker of a Germanic language. :?
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Return to Introductions