English cursive

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

Re: English cursive

Postby Stosis » Mon 10 Aug 2009 5:58 am

Great observational skills!

At my school we learned cursive but that was about 12 or 13 years ago, before computers were everywhere.
Stosis

Postby sokuban » Mon 10 Aug 2009 2:13 pm

Wow, would really suck to not have learnt cursive.

I learnt cursive in my elementary school, but I didn't really use it. Having said that, I didn't really take notes in elementary school, and in middle school not all the time.

So by the time I was in high school and I started taking notes, my handwriting wasn't up to par. Well, my handwriting was different than others. I wrote my letters with different stroke rules, which made it look quite different when I wrote fast - illegible to many people. (I got used to reading my own writing. Part of the illegibility was the fact that I had many different ways of writing combinations of letters, I guess like ligatures, that made it difficult for the average person to see the letters.)

Then after a while I started getting back and trying to write in normal English cursive. While I'm definitely much slower this way, it has much neater writing, and I like it.

I guess I'm interested in these kind of ligatures because of my old handwriting. I don't want to revert to it; but I found the way I wrote letters differently depending on the letters around it, and the way I joint letters together interesting. If I ever make a conscript, I'd definitely make it like my old handwriting in that regard, but I'll of course make it more ergonomic and neater.

So I guess nobody knows of any other such cursive ligatures? Other than the famous German ß I can't think of any.
sokuban

Postby Declan » Mon 10 Aug 2009 5:05 pm

adelgado wrote:Does the English-speaking world not teaches cursive in schools anymore?

It's taught here (in Ireland) anyway.
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby Duffie » Tue 11 Aug 2009 2:45 am

I was taught cursive in elementary school in 1998, so it probably is lingering somewhere. I still use it in two forms, when I'm writing neatly on a classroom whiteboard (or I write in all caps), or when I'm taking notes, and the writing is indecipherable chicken scratch.
Native: English
Fluent: Spanish
Conversational: Italian, Norwegian
Basic: French, Japanese
A combination of greetings and awkward hand gestures: Irish, Russian, Portuguese, Romanian, Swahili
Duffie

Postby dtp883 » Tue 11 Aug 2009 3:39 am

I was taught cursive in third grade in 2002. As did everyone at my school that passed third grade.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby mike92s8 » Thu 27 Aug 2009 2:59 am

In my grade school we were required to write in cursive. We started out with printing, moved to D'Nealian and finished it with cursive by the 3rd or 4th grade. I was really good, but for some reason in High School I just stopped using it. Now I can't write in cursive to save my life. Its a shame really. I tried to reteach it to myself a couple years back, but just gave up because I can print fairly quick and I like the look of my printing anyway.
mike92s8

Postby Serali » Sun 30 Aug 2009 9:47 am

That's awesome!

I love cursive and I write in it alot. Almost all of my diaries are a mixture of print and cursive. I wonder why fi is considered a ligurature and not ti.

I always appreciate calligraphy!

Good for you. I also admire and love calligraphy. And I'm always doing calligraphic versions of my conscripts. This is probably why I have several different handwriting styles.

But then again I always like messing around with handwriting. It's fun.

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby gsteemso » Sun 27 Sep 2009 3:42 am

Heh, this takes me back. When I was in elementary school, we studied a kind of crummy “simplified” longhand, where you used a kit of a few standard strokes to (semi-legibly) form each of the letters. All I can remember is it was sometime between grades 1 and 3, which would put it circa 1985. (This was in a suburb of Vancouver, Canada.) I seldom used it — even then, a lot of my assignments were typed on the family Commodore 64, and I usually used printed letters when doing stuff by hand. I never liked using longhand as a child and people had trouble reading it when I did — hardly surprising, lack of practice will do that.

Fast forward 20-odd years, and I have made a real effort to improve the form of my printed letters, which are now MUCH nicer to look at than many others’ that I know of, at least when I’m not in a hurry. :¬) I wish I could show you folks the made-up alphabet I invented for use with English — I think you here call that a conscript, yes? — and the handwritten forms I invented for it. It was a fun exercise and really made me rethink a lot of the letterforms.

One odd thing I’ve noticed when I’m printing my letters rather than writing them longhand is that I’ll switch back and forth, often within a single word, between normally cased and small-caps lettering. This makes my tax return look more than a little eccentric… *sheepish look*
The world’s only gsteemso
gsteemso

Postby Delodephius » Sun 27 Sep 2009 5:11 am

Anyone ever saw how the Schwabacher script was written in cursive:

- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Serali » Sun 27 Sep 2009 10:07 am

:shock:

OMG! PRETTY SCRIPTY!

Reminds me of Sütterlin.

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

PreviousNext

Return to Writing systems