Sjalsked

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Sjalsked

Postby Jayan » Wed 22 Apr 2009 2:06 am

You see, I like that system having no word order rules, but it only really works if you have a relatively complex case system. Because I'm trying to keep the cases down to 3 at the most (fewer dull case charts to make ;) ), I kinda have to make a semi-strict system. I've tried to make it structured while leaving room for variation and artistic style. Otherwise, you get "cookie-cutter" sentences that all sounds the same...*snoring* :P :lol:

Do you have any ideas about how do make it a little less strict while keeping the cases to 3 or under?
Native/Fluent: English (on a good day :P)
Pursuing fluency: Dansk
Entertaining self with: 日本語
Up next: русский язык
Eventually: Gaeilge|Deutsch|Kiswahili|Suomi
Jayan

Postby Epp » Wed 22 Apr 2009 10:03 am

Jayan wrote:Do you have any ideas about how do make it a little less strict while keeping the cases to 3 or under?
Esperanto has a very free word-order and only two cases - nominative and accusative.
But, but; it's not only-only, you know!
Epp

Postby philly_boy » Wed 22 Apr 2009 11:02 am

Hm, well modern Greek has 4 cases, but you can reduce it to 3 if you throw out vocative so u only have nominative, genitive and accusative :P
Mother Tongues: Ελληνικά (Modern), English
Good: Français
Basic: Español, Ἑλληνικά (Ancient)
Studying: Türkçe
Wants to learn: Deutsch, Dansk, Svenska, Lingua Latina, Íslenska
Conlang: Vǿrliſë Loreéllë Atário (New Atario Language)
philly_boy

Postby Jayan » Wed 22 Apr 2009 1:06 pm

philly_boy wrote:Hm, well modern Greek has 4 cases, but you can reduce it to 3 if you throw out vocative so u only have nominative, genitive and accusative :P

Hmm, that should work. I'll have to revise my word order :)
Jayan

Postby Epp » Wed 22 Apr 2009 7:26 pm

You can even throw out all of the cases. Just use prepositions/markers instead :P
But, but; it's not only-only, you know!
Epp

Postby Jayan » Wed 22 Apr 2009 7:29 pm

Epp wrote:You can even throw out all of the cases. Just use prepositions/markers instead :P

Even better :P I guess I was too steeped in cases (Latin... :evil: ) to consider anything without them... Thanks!
Jayan

Postby Neqitan » Thu 23 Apr 2009 1:47 am

Jayan wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:Also, have you ever heard of Sjal? It was made by Narbleh on Unilang, and it's an AWESOME conlang. Is this any relation to it?
Nope, never heard of it. I'll have to look into it :)

Sjal is an astonishingly very complete conlang its inventor has been working in since 2002. Sorry but I can't stop thinking about Sjal while reading your thread. ;)
Neqitan

Postby Jayan » Thu 23 Apr 2009 2:48 pm

Neqitan wrote:
Jayan wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:Also, have you ever heard of Sjal? It was made by Narbleh on Unilang, and it's an AWESOME conlang. Is this any relation to it?
Nope, never heard of it. I'll have to look into it :)

Sjal is an astonishingly very complete conlang its inventor has been working in since 2002. Sorry but I can't stop thinking about Sjal while reading your thread. ;)

Maybe I should rename it? I guess you can't say yet whether or not conlang looks even remotely like Sjal...

I don't want there to be any strong associations (i.e. I want you to be able to read this thread without immediately and constantly thinking of another conlang :P )
Jayan

Postby Jayan » Sat 25 Apr 2009 11:18 pm

Here's the noun system. Pretty basic, thanks to some much needed insight into the areas of simplicity ;) .

Nouns

There are two genders in Sjalsked: common and neuter. In general, people and words directly connected with people fall into the common gender, but otherwise there are no rules determining gender.

Indefinite vs. Definite:

There are two forms of the indefinite article: æn for the common gender and ed for the neuter gender. The definite formation varies depending on whether or not an adjective is modifying the noun. If there is no adjective -(æ)n or -(e)d is added to the end of the noun, depending on the grammatical gender. If an adjective modifies the noun in question, one of three definite particles is used. If the noun is common gender singular, þæn is used. If it is neuter gender singular, dæn is used. If the noun is plural, regardless of gender, de is used. The adjective in these cases is placed between the article and the noun.

Inflection:

There are no case markings in Sjalsked, unless one counts the possessive as a case marking. The plural marking is –r. If it is directly after a consonant (e.g. solr), it is pronounce as if it were –ær, though it is not written thus. The possessive (though more commonly written with a preposition phrase) is marked by the suffix –s. Orthography does not require any punctuation before the possessive s. An ‘inflectional’ chart is shown below:

Singular Subjective Sol/Sjalske
Singular Possessive Sols/ Sjalskes
Plural Subjective Solr/Sjalsker
Plural Possessive Solrs/Sjalskers
Jayan

Postby philly_boy » Sun 26 Apr 2009 12:10 am

Simple and to the point :P
Mother Tongues: Ελληνικά (Modern), English
Good: Français
Basic: Español, Ἑλληνικά (Ancient)
Studying: Türkçe
Wants to learn: Deutsch, Dansk, Svenska, Lingua Latina, Íslenska
Conlang: Vǿrliſë Loreéllë Atário (New Atario Language)
philly_boy

PreviousNext

Return to Conlangery