Tan Viet Tu/新越字 - New Vietnamese Script

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

Tan Viet Tu/新越字 - New Vietnamese Script

Postby imbecilica » Thu 17 Sep 2009 5:54 am

Well that "TV" script I was hoping to make for writing Vietnamese didn't really go as planned and as such I started to gather ideas for a new script which would be easy enough to learn but aesthetically be a tier higher than the abomination that is...the modern script.

The basis for this script was the Tai Viet script used to write the various Tai languages (mostly in north-western Vietnam). Despite these facts not only are its origins unknown - it very much resembles the ancient script of the Vietnamese language. Could that script have been related to the ancient Vietnamese's? Either way, the point of this thread is to present an alternative script for modern Vietnamese. [Tân Việt Tự (新越字) = New Vietnamese Script.]

CKD2.JPG
CKD2.JPG (28.48 KiB) Viewed 7457 times

Letters and their modern Vietnamese equivalents.

At this moment, I've compiled only the consonants. I, personally, did not come up with these characters nor did I with the font - they are various consonants drawn from the Tai Dam script and this particular font was created by Ngô Trung Việt <vietnt@trprog.gov.vn> and James Đỗ <jdo@pacificlinks.org>. Interestingly, many of the Tai languages share very similar sounds to Vietnamese.

My main aim now is to decide how to represent the various vowels and tones. I'm open to any suggestions you may have, in fact I'd be more than happy to have some. :mrgreen:
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Re: Tan Viet Tu/新越字 - New Vietnamese Script

Postby imbecilica » Sat 19 Sep 2009 6:16 am

Ok, I'm still stuck with the vowels but here's a sample of one of the alternatives I came up with.

chu moi.jpg
chu moi.jpg (28.18 KiB) Viewed 7411 times

The consonants are the same as the post above but as you can see I've got the vowels and tone markings. Note that the vowels are inspired by the Latin alphabet.

What now? Well those vowels and tone markings are temporary - now I'll have to go back and redesign and possibly reposition them. Suggestions? I'm also thinking of making separate finals for -c, -ch, -m, -n, -ng, -nh, -p and -t. The Tai Viet script has 2 versions for every consonant ie. there are 6 tones in those languages and so instead of having 5 or 6 different markings, each of the two versions may have either no markings (to represent tones 1 and 4) or one of 2 tone markings (to represent tones 2, 3, 5 and 6). This script, however, only uses 1 version for each consonant at the moment. Another matter is how to separate the syllables.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 19 Sep 2009 11:25 pm

Sino-Vietnamese uses <元音> for "consonant" & <輔音> for "vowel"? :o Japanese & Korean both use <子音> for "consonant" & <母音> for "vowel".
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby imbecilica » Sun 20 Sep 2009 5:31 am

Sobekhotep wrote:Sino-Vietnamese uses <元音> for "consonant" & <輔音> for "vowel"? :o Japanese & Korean both use <子音> for "consonant" & <母音> for "vowel".

My bad, it's the other way around: 元音 for "vowel" and 輔音 for "consonant". No wonder it didn't sound right.

Well Vietnamese borrowings are typically more reflective of Chinese ideas.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Serali » Sun 20 Sep 2009 10:28 pm

YAY!

This is awesome! I have lots of questions about the ancient Vietnamese scripts. The most obvious one is where can I find samples of it?

And as for the script you came up with I would love to see something written in it. Please? Also you're handwriting in Hanzi is perfection. I wish mine was like that. My printing is perfection but Hanzi no way in hell. Any who samples in the pretty scripty please.

Also I know you said that the TV script is "no more" but do you have the chart for it still? I would like to have it in my collection of pretty scripties.

Thankies!

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby imbecilica » Mon 21 Sep 2009 4:00 am

Well unfortunately there aren't many samples online and most of the ones that exist are in Vietnamese news or blogs so lol. Just go to google images and type in "Chu khoa dau".

As for the samples of the script - as I am still developing it, I'll post some examples when I feel I have "refined it" (which won't be long!).

As for my Hanzi, actually my writing is horrible! The pen I was using had terrible ink and so I had to press down hard for every stroke. Therefore, it wasn't my free flowing writing.

As for the "TV" script, I'll see where I stored the chart :P
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Serali » Tue 22 Sep 2009 1:48 am

I think I found some!

Some guy teaching it.

Words

*Dies* It's so pretty! *_*

I'm going to look for more. And I hope you find the chart for the TV script.

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby imbecilica » Tue 22 Sep 2009 3:25 am

I don't really like the overall look of the ancient script so much, however, I'm sure that had it been in use to this date it would have changed (obviously) and would look completely different. I really don't like the positioning and shapes of the vowels...compared to the consonants they look fugly!

On another note, the symbols seem to resemble that of the Tai-Viet script. The origins of that script are unknown...but could it somehow be related to the ancient vietnamese script? Consider that the Tai-Viet script is mostly used in NW Vietnam and that the cradle of Vietnamese civilisation was just to the east around the Red River delta.

Maybe I should also make another version of my conscript using symbols resembling that of ancient vietnamese instead of the Tai-Viet script. I could have 2 versions! :P
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Serali » Tue 22 Sep 2009 4:20 am

I could have 2 versions! :P

Do it. DO IT! :mrgreen:

And I was thinking the same thing too. Some of the letters do look the same as Tai-Viet script or what I've seen of it which is not very much.

And I look forward to the pretty scripties! And you thinking the script is fugly might have something to do with the handwriting.

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby imbecilica » Fri 25 Sep 2009 8:09 am

Here's just a sample of the first 4 lines of the famous 'Tale of Kieu' written by Nguyen Du.

TruyenKieuFirst4Lines.jpg
TruyenKieuFirst4Lines.jpg (136.77 KiB) Viewed 7260 times

Notice that the words are separated by adding a long stroke on top of the initials of each word.

TruyenKieuFirst4Lines (Small).jpg
TruyenKieuFirst4Lines (Small).jpg (39.17 KiB) Viewed 7260 times

Just the same one with a sideways view. Looks even better this way!
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Next

Return to Constructed writing systems