What language is this?

If you would like names, words or short phrases transliterated or translated, this is the place to make your requests.

Re: What language is this?

Postby Talib » Tue 15 Sep 2009 9:38 pm

Cherokee converted to Islam? Do you mean to say Wauhillau LaHay was a Muslim?

I think based on the context this is most likely their name in the version of the Arabic script which was used for Malay at one point (Jawi).
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby formiko » Wed 16 Sep 2009 2:14 am

I'm Cherokee, and the /au/ sound is extremely rare in Cherokee. I can't think of a word off the top of my head that has it. The closest think to that word I can think of that could be a native name is walela, which is very comon, and means hummigbird. wahuhi is owl.

But Wahi Lau is Hawaiian for place of leaves...are you positive they were Cherokee?
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Sobekhotep » Wed 16 Sep 2009 4:40 am

formiko wrote:I'm Cherokee, and the /au/ sound is extremely rare in Cherokee. I can't think of a word off the top of my head that has it. The closest think to that word I can think of that could be a native name is walela, which is very comon, and means hummigbird. wahuhi is owl.

But Wahi Lau is Hawaiian for place of leaves...are you positive they were Cherokee?

I did a Google search and found an article which claims that "wauhillau" means "eagle" in Cherokee. Is this true? Or perhaps it's something similar?
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby kaenif » Wed 16 Sep 2009 1:59 pm

Sobekhotep wrote:
formiko wrote:I'm Cherokee, and the /au/ sound is extremely rare in Cherokee. I can't think of a word off the top of my head that has it. The closest think to that word I can think of that could be a native name is walela, which is very comon, and means hummigbird. wahuhi is owl.

I did a Google search and found an article which claims that "wauhillau" means "eagle" in Cherokee. Is this true? Or perhaps it's something similar?

I also found a place called Wauhillau in Oklahoma.
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Postby linguoboy » Wed 16 Sep 2009 4:07 pm

Sobekhotep wrote:I did a Google search and found an article which claims that "wauhillau" means "eagle" in Cherokee. Is this true? Or perhaps it's something similar?

It could be a nonstandard transcription. The dictionaries I consulted had (a)wahili/(a)wohali.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby formiko » Wed 16 Sep 2009 10:29 pm

Actually, eagle is uwóhili ᎤᏬᎯᎵ, or sometimes awóhili ᎠᏬᎯᎵ.

The town in Oklahome probably is Cherokee. Or it may be one of the many languages in Oklahoma. I think Eastern Oklahoma has Osage and Pawnee people as well. But, most Indian names are butchered anyway.
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Previous

Return to Translation requests