What language is the most inflected?

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.
SpareSymbol
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri 14 Aug 2009 7:31 am

Re: What language is the most inflected?

Postby SpareSymbol » Sat 12 Sep 2009 10:16 am

How is the inflection in Volapuk?

Declan
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 6:51 am

Re: What language is the most inflected?

Postby Declan » Sat 12 Sep 2009 2:27 pm

SpareSymbol wrote:How is the inflection in Volapuk?

A bit too regular though?
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.

User avatar
ILuvEire
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 10:42 am
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Contact:

Re: What language is the most inflected?

Postby ILuvEire » Sat 12 Sep 2009 7:55 pm

It's quite inflected for a European language, but nothing compared to Navajo or Tzez.
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska

Talib
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 8:22 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: What language is the most inflected?

Postby Talib » Sat 12 Sep 2009 9:11 pm

Anders wrote:
Talib wrote:Tsez has over 120 cases (!).

Hmm..the wikipedia says 64...
I guess when a language has that many cases, it depends how they are classified.
Some languages have very many cases; for example, Finnish has fifteen according to the traditional understanding (or up to 30 depending on the interpretation)[1] (see Finnish language noun cases), Hungarian has eighteen and Tsez can even be analyzed as having 126 cases.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語

User avatar
formiko
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 8:31 am
Location: Angola

Re: What language is the most inflected?

Postby formiko » Sun 13 Sep 2009 2:30 am

ILuvEire wrote:It's quite inflected for a European language, but nothing compared to Navajo or Tzez.


Tlingit is still harder. People use Navajo for the example of difficulty because it is the most commonly spoken.
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ

User avatar
ILuvEire
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 10:42 am
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Contact:

Re: What language is the most inflected?

Postby ILuvEire » Sun 13 Sep 2009 4:58 am

formiko wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:It's quite inflected for a European language, but nothing compared to Navajo or Tzez.


Tlingit is still harder. People use Navajo for the example of difficulty because it is the most commonly spoken.

Yeah, I wasn't saying anything about Tlingit, I've read a bit about Navajo and Tzez, I didn't want to make an untrue statement about Tlingit. :P
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska

User avatar
formiko
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 8:31 am
Location: Angola

Re: What language is the most inflected?

Postby formiko » Sun 13 Sep 2009 10:57 pm

ILuvEire wrote:
formiko wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:It's quite inflected for a European language, but nothing compared to Navajo or Tzez.


Tlingit is still harder. People use Navajo for the example of difficulty because it is the most commonly spoken.

Yeah, I wasn't saying anything about Tlingit, I've read a bit about Navajo and Tzez, I didn't want to make an untrue statement about Tlingit. :P


Navajo is still no walk in the park though ;)
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ


Return to “Languages other than English”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron