How many?

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: How many?

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 25 Apr 2009 11:05 pm

Jayan wrote:How long per day (if you're studying every day) should you study for each language?

I'd recommend at least 15 minutes daily, but no more than 2 hours. Too much studying takes the fun out & it makes your brain hurt. :)
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Jayan » Sun 26 Apr 2009 3:14 am

Sobekhotep wrote:
Jayan wrote:How long per day (if you're studying every day) should you study for each language?

I'd recommend at least 15 minutes daily, but no more than 2 hours. Too much studying takes the fun out & it makes your brain hurt. :)

How does one utilize those 15-30 minutes to the greatest effect?
Native/Fluent: English (on a good day :P)
Pursuing fluency: Dansk
Entertaining self with: 日本語
Up next: русский язык
Eventually: Gaeilge|Deutsch|Kiswahili|Suomi
Jayan

Postby Sobekhotep » Mon 27 Apr 2009 10:29 pm

Jayan wrote:How does one utilize those 15-30 minutes to the greatest effect?

Well, I think different people will have different opinions. I believe that learning sentences and phrases is the best use of your time.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 28 Apr 2009 9:06 am

Sobekhotep wrote:

I agree. I study a minimum of 15 minutes, and a maximum of 1 hour every day. I also try to write as much as I can in that language, so any notes I write to myself will be in the target language.
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby SamD » Tue 28 Apr 2009 6:52 pm

I think one at a time is usually easiest, but if you start to deal with wanderlust (like I often do), sometimes it can be helpful to add another one. Even then, I figure it's best to wait until you've been studying the first language for at least some months or a year.
SamD

Previous

Return to Language learning