Self-Study Resources

The place to discuss learning languages

Self-Study Resources

Postby Jayan » Wed 22 Apr 2009 2:24 am

I study most languages (not that I have a whole lot of experience) on my own. But I've never met much success, mostly because I can never settle on a single method or resource that is good and fits my needs. What do you guys use?

I have been using Teach Yourself for learning Danish, and I have been very happy with it for the most part (except with spoken language skills). Have you used TY before? What was your opinion of it?
Native/Fluent: English (on a good day :P)
Pursuing fluency: Dansk
Entertaining self with: 日本語
Up next: русский язык
Eventually: Gaeilge|Deutsch|Kiswahili|Suomi
Jayan

Re: Self-Study Resources

Postby Delodephius » Thu 23 Apr 2009 2:01 pm

I'm learning Classical Greek with a TY book. It's very old, from 1896. Basically what I do is I copy everything from the book into my notebook as I go, lesson by lesson. Each lesson has some new grammar, vocabulary and exercise. I copy the grammar into my notebook and onto a piece of paper (in form of tables: declinations, conjugations, etc.) which I keep nearby. The vocabulary also. The exercises, which are basically sentences to translate I write down into my notebook and translate. Once I'm done a chapter, I piece together the grammar, vocabulary and exercises into another notebook and translate the sentences once again. And that's it for now.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby philly_boy » Fri 24 Apr 2009 5:24 pm

Currently I'm studying Türkçe on my own. I'm still in the begining though, too early to say whether I'm satisfied with the book I'm using, though its cool!
Mother Tongues: Ελληνικά (Modern), English
Good: Français
Basic: Español, Ἑλληνικά (Ancient)
Studying: Türkçe
Wants to learn: Deutsch, Dansk, Svenska, Lingua Latina, Íslenska
Conlang: Vǿrliſë Loreéllë Atário (New Atario Language)
philly_boy

Postby Sobekhotep » Fri 24 Apr 2009 11:23 pm

Jayan wrote:What do you guys use?

I use what is popularly called the "10,000 sentences method". It focusses on learning sentences & phrases daily, with the help of a spaced repetition software. I highly recommend using this method, especially in combination with an immersion environment.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Neqitan » Sat 25 Apr 2009 2:24 am

Sean of the Dead once mentioned a very interesting site with tons of resources to study languages. But lots of those materials are not necessarily er... "approved for free distribution", so I don't know if I should put a link to that site, considering the good status of Omniglot... Anyone interested contact either me or Sean...
Neqitan

Return to Language learning