Polyglot Jesus

The place to discuss extinct languages.

Re: Polyglot Jesus

Postby linguoboy » Fri 28 Aug 2009 2:10 pm

Sobekhotep wrote:
Delodephius wrote:I call all my black chickens Ns. :lol:

Do you live on a farm or something?

I think he meant to say "chicks".
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Delodephius » Fri 28 Aug 2009 7:12 pm

No, actual chickens, you know, birds with black feathers.

I don't live one a farm, I live in a village. Our settlements are organized differently than in the west as well as our housing lots. Basically, a "village" can have as many people as possible (even 50.000), the only condition for it to be a village is that the majority of people are agriculturalists (there isn't an adequate translation of our word 'sedliak' or 'seljak' which is not a farmer but a person who lives in a village and has land outside of the town which he/she cultivates). My father is an agriculturalist. We own about 10 'jutra' of land and plus we work on 20 more for people who don't have equipment or are not interested in working on it, they just own it and let others work on it for a fee.
Our lots are also organized differently. Each street looks like a canal because every house is connected to the other next to it by a wall. All our houses have big gates. Our yards are not in front of the house but next to since the front wall of the house is directly next to the sidewalk. We have couple of yards separated by gates and fences. The first yard is next to the house, the second yard is a bit behind next to the garages and barns. In this second yard we usually keep chickens (they can move freely through the entire yard and sleep in a hen-house). The back yard is usually the largest part of the lot (about half of it) and it's just one big garden.

This is in literature called 'the Pannonian style' of housing.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Sobekhotep » Sun 30 Aug 2009 5:17 am

Delodephius wrote:We own about 10 'jutra' of land

What is jutro/jitro in English? Morgen? :?
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Delodephius » Sun 30 Aug 2009 6:12 am

It's a measure for land similar to English acre. I don't know how big it exactly is, but it is about 400 meters long.
Delodephius

Postby formiko » Sun 30 Aug 2009 9:36 am

jitro a traditional unit of land area in the Czech Republic, identical to the Austrian joch.

joch a traditional unit of area in German speaking countries, especially in Austria. One joch is the area of about 1.422 acres. The plural is joche. Joch is also the word for a yoke in German, so this unit represents an area that could be plowed in a day by a yoke of oxen. In what is now the Czech Republic this unit was known as the jitro; in Croatia it is the jutro.
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby dtp883 » Sun 30 Aug 2009 10:17 am

I can't help but laugh at how off topic this thread has become. Serbian villages layouts and land measurements in a topic about the languages Jesus spoke!
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Delodephius » Sun 30 Aug 2009 2:53 pm

dtp883 wrote:I can't help but laugh at how off topic this thread has become.

Yes, and I'm tired of listening to that.
Delodephius

Postby Talib » Sun 30 Aug 2009 8:18 pm

In that case, what was the standard land measurement in Jesus' day, and what were its names in Aramaic, Hebrew and Greek?
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Sun 30 Aug 2009 9:19 pm

Talib wrote:In that case, what was the standard land measurement in Jesus' day, and what were its names in Aramaic, Hebrew and Greek?

There appears to be no clear consensus, but according to Wikipedia, the yoke (Heb. semed) was used informally, as the area that could be plowed in a day. Reportedly in Mesopotamia, this was about 1/3 acre or 0.11 hectare.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_and_Talmudic_units_of_measurement>
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby formiko » Sun 30 Aug 2009 10:33 pm

Dan_ad_nauseam wrote:
Talib wrote:In that case, what was the standard land measurement in Jesus' day, and what were its names in Aramaic, Hebrew and Greek?

There appears to be no clear consensus, but according to Wikipedia, the yoke (Heb. semed) was used informally, as the area that could be plowed in a day. Reportedly in Mesopotamia, this was about 1/3 acre or 0.11 hectare.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_and_Talmudic_units_of_measurement>

In Christ's time, they also most likely had the πλέθρον (plethron), what a yoke of oxen could plow.
If we're speaking about the Roman Empire, they MAY have used the yoke (iugerum) which is 2 acres or the acnua or actus quadratus.
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

PreviousNext

Return to Extinct languages