Have you ever traveled to another country?

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

Yes, I actually have lived in more than one country
37%
Yes, I live near the border, so I go often
7%
Yes, I've been to another country at least once
47%
No, but I've always wanted to go
9%
No, and I'm happy where I am now
No votes

Total votes : 43

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 25 Apr 2009 1:05 am

I have been only to the Republic of Korea, where I lived for almost a year. It was a wonderful experience and a great country. I highly recommend it! :mrgreen:
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Re: Have you ever traveled to another country?

Postby Svip » Sat 25 Apr 2009 1:35 am

I find it difficult to believe many haven't travelled to several countries around these parts. I would find it more interesting if someone have travelled for language sake.

Because I would admit any day that my travelling around the world has been focusing more relaxing and holiday rather than language research. Though, I am not above do some shallow research if time allows it.
Svip

Postby philly_boy » Sat 25 Apr 2009 1:42 am

I've travelled quite a lot! I've lived in Philadelphia and I've been to the following cities: Boston (will live there for a month this summer), New York, Washington (twice), Paris, Berlin, London, Istanbul, Limassol, Larnaca, Athens and i've been to many other places all over Greece and also the Island of Imroz in Turkey :D
Mother Tongues: Ελληνικά (Modern), English
Good: Français
Basic: Español, Ἑλληνικά (Ancient)
Studying: Türkçe
Wants to learn: Deutsch, Dansk, Svenska, Lingua Latina, Íslenska
Conlang: Vǿrliſë Loreéllë Atário (New Atario Language)
philly_boy

Postby formiko » Sat 25 Apr 2009 1:57 am

I've been to almost every state in the US (I drove cross country when I was in college), and I've been to around 5 or 6 countries in Europe (mostly the ones around Germany), I've been to Tibet (China), Nigeria, Burma, and Senegal! (The last 4 were for missionary work, but my secondary motive was language research. I've also been near Juneau, Alaska with the Tlingit Indians.
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Delodephius » Sat 25 Apr 2009 12:28 pm

I've been to Slovakia for five days, to Greece for ten, to Bosnia on two occasions, once for a funeral the other time for a few days, and I've drove through Croatia a lot of times. I plan to go to Slovakia next year to work and study there and maybe I'll even stay there after that.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby kaenif » Sat 25 Apr 2009 1:20 pm

I've been to quite a lot of places. Many Hongkongers just love to travel during holidays with their family, for relaxing and fun.
But for living for a longer time, I don't have a chance to do that yet :P

I've been to Japan, South Korea, South Africa, Las Vegas and Orlando in USA, Europe (Just a quick walk from Italy to France, Belgium, Netherlands and 1 day in London). I've also been to some places in China, like Beijing (Great Wall :) ), Dalian-Lüshun, and more frequently Xiamen (Mom's hometown) and Shenzhen (Very near)
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Postby Epp » Sat 25 Apr 2009 1:39 pm

I've been to Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Poland, Czech Republic, Italy, Switzerland, France, Spain and U.K. I have lived one year in Germany (as an exchange student) and live in Norway, where I was born. Some countries I have been to more than once. At the time my grandparents lived in Sweden, I used visit them 2-3 times a year.
This summer I'm maybe going to the Netherlands and I'm thinking about Russia next year.
And, I almost forgot: I've been to Legoland! :mrgreen:
But, but; it's not only-only, you know!
Epp

Postby sokuban » Sat 25 Apr 2009 2:24 pm

I've gone on an exchange for Japan for a while. I guess my main motive was to learn the language without doing any work, as well as having fun a bit. It worked wonders; the ultimate lazy man's way to learn a language.

I had taken 1 year of Japanese classes before the exchange, but I didn't really learn anything except a few basic phrases. The bulk of the Japanese I know was picked up in Japan.

I also go to China for a long time every summer break. For some strange reason I never picked up Chinese the way I easily picked up Japanese. I guess its because I went to school in Japan and met more people or something. (In China I only was around my family and it was more of a "holiday".)

But now I'm trying to do actual study of Chinese and I'll try hard next summer to try to make a little more use of my time there.
sokuban

Postby Declan » Sat 25 Apr 2009 3:30 pm

I've been in a good few places in Ireland, been in London a number of times, Paris a number of times, Berlin once on a school tour, northern Italy once on a school tour, Rome, the south of France and a couple of sun holidays to the Canary Islands.
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby rickardspaghetti » Sat 25 Apr 2009 4:15 pm

I've been in Denmark, Germany, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Austria, Italy, Cyprus and I returned from a trip to Czech Republic yesterday. I've never been outside of Europe.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
rickardspaghetti

Next

Return to General chat