Reviving or Restarting Omni

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Reviving or Restarting Omni

Postby Kloiten » Thu 27 Aug 2009 7:11 pm

Then it's not Arabic.
Anyway, is everyone still okay with the genitive case staying the prepositional case? In all honesty, I'm still for the 20+ case system.
But that's impractical.
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg
Kloiten

Case System

Postby adelgado » Fri 28 Aug 2009 3:29 am

Kloiten wrote:Then it's not Arabic.
Anyway, is everyone still okay with the genitive case staying the prepositional case? In all honesty, I'm still for the 20+ case system.
But that's impractical.

I'm OK with the genitive case being the prepositional case.

But anyways, how would that 20+ cases system be? Which cases would it include? Most of them would be locational cases, right?

I think we could have a rich case system for precise indications, and maybe a set of prepositions for simpler assertions: We'd have a word meaning "by the" that could act as the adessive, inessive, allative, illative, etc. And another for motion away from, or being off of something...

This chart[1] seems neat!

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gr ... asic_cases
adelgado

Postby Aeetlrcreejl » Fri 28 Aug 2009 11:51 am

Talib wrote:I don't really know what feature of Arabic that could be. I think Mayatec was referring to how genitives can be formed in Arabic and other Semitic languages by juxtaposition, eg. bayt aṭ̣-ṭālib or house DEF.student means "the student's house." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idafa#Geni ... C4.81fa.29

Classical Arabic had a three-way case system, though, with -u as nom. sing, -i as gen. sing (and also used with prepositions), and -a for acc. sing.
Aeetlrcreejl

Postby Talib » Fri 28 Aug 2009 8:33 pm

Aeetlrcreejl wrote:Classical Arabic had a three-way case system, though, with -u as nom. sing, -i as gen. sing (and also used with prepositions), and -a for acc. sing.
Yeah I know. Do you mean that he was referring to the genitive used with prepositions? Arabic certainly had no prepositional case.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Kloiten » Fri 28 Aug 2009 8:39 pm

I was. The genitive is just used for prepositions sometimes; that's what I meant to say.
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg
Kloiten

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Sat 29 Aug 2009 9:07 pm

Kloiten wrote:. . . .
Anyway, is everyone still okay with the genitive case staying the prepositional case? . . .
. . . .

If we're trying to do this organically, let's see what sticks.
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby adelgado » Mon 31 Aug 2009 11:59 pm

Dan_ad_nauseam wrote:
Kloiten wrote:. . . .
Anyway, is everyone still okay with the genitive case staying the prepositional case? . . .
. . . .

If we're trying to do this organically, let's see what sticks.

As much as we'd try to make this fully organic, we still need to agree or at least set the communication rules, otherwise we don't understand each others.

So, at least until people stop using it this way; which, of course, might very well happen, or not.
adelgado

Previous

Return to Conlangery