Languages you'd like to learn...

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: Languages you'd like to learn...

Postby mike92s8 » Wed 26 Aug 2009 1:27 pm

Actually I work in Customer Service and frequently end up speaking with people in Puerto Rico. Most of the time it'd be easier to just speak spanish with them than try to muddle through their english. It does present a great opportunity to learn though, especially because they are so happy to share their language with us at the call center.

This is what I'm starting off with just to get my feet wet: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Spanish
Tell me what you guys think about its quality.
mike92s8

Postby linguoboy » Wed 26 Aug 2009 3:43 pm

Such a change from the materials I had! I heard from a fellow learner recently than when his mother took Spanish in the 60s, they didn't even teach her the forms. In my day, they taught both but led off with Usted. Those lessons not only start with , but right off the bat they're teaching you casual colloquial usage. Fine if you want to chat with your girlfriend's compañeros, but not the best grounding for provision of customer service!

Stop into La Esquina sometime and we'll set you straight.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby mike92s8 » Wed 26 Aug 2009 5:25 pm

Haha, yes I caught that also. I had taken two years of Spanish in High school so I'm pretty familiar with the casual/formal forms. I'm just using this as a refresher to get back up to speed from where I left off. Which is pretty much the end of this small course, incidentally.

And I've been ghosting around La Esquina. y'all will be hearing from me over there shortly, that's for sure.
mike92s8

Postby Talib » Fri 05 Feb 2010 8:54 pm

In order, probably Italian, Persian, Korean, Swahili, Tamil.

Yesterday I was reading about courses for next year and all of these are offered (except Persian, which I find odd). But I don't have time to devote to them.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Hershele Ostropoler » Tue 14 Dec 2010 10:00 pm

Romanian at 16. I had a high school classmate from Romania -- at least, with a foreign accent and a name ending with -escu -- and I'd have loved to be able to impress not just her, but her parents.

I mean, I can still learn Romanian, but it's more than two decades too late for me to be 16.
English speaker (New York dialect)
Interested in:
  • Icelandic
  • Lithuanian
  • Hungarian
  • Yiddish
  • Irish
  • Welsh
Hershele Ostropoler

Postby dtp883 » Mon 20 Dec 2010 10:50 am

When I took Spanish in High School, we pretty much only learned . Usted, at least in my class, felt like an after thought, tacked on to the third person singular. It was only ever used for conversing with the teacher. (This is the same with my French Class, except vous is focused on since the situation which causes vostros to be ignored is absent.)

However, in the Pimsleur courses, they use nearly, exclusively, the formal second-person. Although, those are nearing 40 years old, yeah?
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Delodephius » Mon 20 Dec 2010 11:15 am

I really, REALLY don't know. Every language I'd like to learn I already got resources for. It is just a matter which languages of those will I end up learning. I can't predict the future and I'm not the kind of person who says never.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Anders » Tue 28 Dec 2010 11:03 pm

Korean and Italian are at the bottom of my list of langs I want to learn. It's not likely I'll ever beginn with them.
Anders

Postby Alex » Sun 17 Apr 2011 5:55 pm

I would like to learn a whole bunch of languages, the most important being Lakhota (and Navajo), Russian (which I'd really love to know), Italian (could wait I suppose), Arabic and Tibetan. :)

There are more, but I want to learn those first xD
Lakhota -Currently trying to learn! :3
Russian - Going to learn!
Afrikaans, Arabic, Gaelic, and Tibetan! - want to learn!
Alex

Postby Emma » Fri 04 Nov 2011 5:27 am

Hindi *haven't looked into it yet, but it was my family's first language*, Spanish, Welsh and a few Native American languages like Cherokee. :mrgreen:
Emma

PreviousNext

Return to Language learning