Polyglot Jesus

The place to discuss extinct languages.

Re: Polyglot Jesus

Postby formiko » Tue 25 Aug 2009 11:20 pm

Talib wrote:In this case, it isn't free speech any longer.

I think political correctness is a great evil. Switching "offensive" words into new words, doesn't change the thing being spoken about. It's like the book '1984' and 'Brave New World'
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby dtp883 » Wed 26 Aug 2009 12:12 am

I hate political correctness. Teenagers in northern California, at least the ones I know, will call others racist at the slightest mention of race, good or bad or for something as neutral as, "All the kids in the Native Speakers Spanish class are Mexican".
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Sobekhotep » Wed 26 Aug 2009 3:54 am

dtp883 wrote:I hate political correctness. Teenagers in northern California, at least the ones I know, will call others racist at the slightest mention of race, good or bad or for something as neutral as, "All the kids in the Native Speakers Spanish class are Mexican".

I don't see anything wrong with that sentence. If the kids really are of Mexican descent, what's the big deal? :?
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Talib » Wed 26 Aug 2009 6:37 am

formiko wrote:I think political correctness is a great evil. Switching "offensive" words into new words, doesn't change the thing being spoken about. It's like the book '1984' and 'Brave New World'
Political correctness is a social movement not a government mandate. There is no punishment for failing to adhere to it besides the disapproval of others.

Me, I adhere to it simply because I think people have a right to be called what they want to be called, ie. I'd say Inuit instead of Eskimo.

Comparisons to 1984 are far-fetched in the least. That book dealt with the concept of thoughtcrime, or official reprisal for going against the political orthodoxy of the day. Rest assured a few indignant liberals aren't going to round you up and send you to Room 101 for using the term "red Indians."
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Delodephius » Wed 26 Aug 2009 11:18 am

My friend's cousins from the US were thrilled when they arrived for the summer here since they didn't have to be careful what they say all the time, any time. They referred to everyone using the N word. :lol:
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby linguoboy » Wed 26 Aug 2009 2:04 pm

Talib wrote:Political correctness is a social movement not a government mandate. There is no punishment for failing to adhere to it besides the disapproval of others.

This isn't entirely true, since government policies and the activities of government officials are informed by social movements. Don't you remember when that mayoral aide in DC was fired for using the word "niggardly"? Non-departmental government bodies in Britain have just received a new list of "potentially offensive" words to avoid including such shockers as "black day", "gentlemen's agreement", and "right-hand man". (See: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1690#more-1690.) Now, I can't imagine someone is going to be summarily dismissed for using one of these terms, but don't you think that continued insistence on ignoring the restrictions could affect an employee's job security?

Me, I adhere to it simply because I think people have a right to be called what they want to be called, ie. I'd say Inuit instead of Eskimo.

Except that this is offensive--or, at very least, irritating--to those many Eskimos who are not Inuit!

If people want to continue discussing this topic, it really deserves a separate thread. As I said above, it has even less to do with the original topic of this one than our discursus on evolution!
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Talib » Wed 26 Aug 2009 10:07 pm

linguoboy wrote:This isn't entirely true, since government policies and the activities of government officials are informed by social movements. Don't you remember when that mayoral aide in DC was fired for using the word "niggardly"? Non-departmental government bodies in Britain have just received a new list of "potentially offensive" words to avoid including such shockers as "black day", "gentlemen's agreement", and "right-hand man". (See: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1690#more-1690.) Now, I can't imagine someone is going to be summarily dismissed for using one of these terms, but don't you think that continued insistence on ignoring the restrictions could affect an employee's job security?
Outside of public service, the only risk is from employers who adopt a policy of political correctness. But it's one's own choice to work for such an employer, as it is to use the offended terms while knowledgeable of the risk involved.
Except that this is offensive--or, at very least, irritating--to those many Eskimos who are not Inuit!
I'd call them by their own endonyms.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Sobekhotep » Thu 27 Aug 2009 12:45 am

Delodephius wrote:My friend's cousins from the US were thrilled when they arrived for the summer here since they didn't have to be careful what they say all the time, any time. They referred to everyone using the N word. :lol:

Everyone in Serbia? :?
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Delodephius » Thu 27 Aug 2009 12:59 am

I call all my black chickens Ns. :lol:
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Sobekhotep » Fri 28 Aug 2009 5:22 am

Delodephius wrote:I call all my black chickens Ns. :lol: