Zi Hoi Kal

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Zi Hoi Kal

Postby adelgado » Mon 24 Aug 2009 3:22 am

Hello, fellows conlangers!

I'm going to post here the details of a project conlang I'm working on with some friends of mine. It has some random requirements that guide it's development, which I'll explain throughout the post.

Orthography and Sounds:

1.Consonants:

One of the requirements is that it can be spoken without raising the tongue, so consonants like [l] or [ʃ] cannot be a part of it. Also, it should sound 'foreign' to the average European-language speaker.

Code: Select all
<m> [m]
<p> [p] <b> [b] <k> [k] <g> [g] <q> [q]
<f> [f] <v> [v] <s> [s] <z> [z]
<x> [ɬ] <l> [ɮ] <c> [ç] <j> [ʝ]
<r> [ʁ] <h> [ħ]
<'> [ʔ]

2. Vowels:

Also, it has to be shoutable, so in order to increase clarity it has few core vowels with an ample realization:

<a> [a]
<e> [e~ɛ]
<i> [i~ɪ]
<o> [o~ɔ]
<u> [u]

Right now I have trouble with [ɬ] and [ɮ], because I don't think that <x> and <l> are good ways to write these sounds.
adelgado

Re: Zi Hoi Kal

Postby linguoboy » Mon 24 Aug 2009 3:56 am

adelgado wrote:One of the requirements is that it can be spoken without raising the tongue, so consonants like [l] or [ʃ] cannot be a part of it. Also, it should sound 'foreign' to the average European-language speaker.

If that's the case, then how can [s] and [z] be part of it, not to mention [ç] and [ʝ]? [ç] is palatal, [ʃ] is pre-palatal; the difference between these two sounds is so minor that that substitution of one for the other is not uncommon in languages of the world.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby dtp883 » Mon 24 Aug 2009 4:34 am

adelgado wrote:One of the requirements is that it can be spoken without raising the tongue, so consonants like [l] or [ʃ] cannot be a part of it. Also, it should sound 'foreign' to the average European-language speaker.

Noob Question: I have never heard /ɮ/ or /ɬ/ pronounced but I always thought they were, well at least /ɬ/ as sort of combination of /l/ and /ʃ/ or something similar. Am I wrong? Also how can you have /k/ and /g/ when the back tongue is raised to the hard palate?

Interesting idea though. I really like it, it sounds like it would sound foreign to most people.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Talib » Mon 24 Aug 2009 4:44 am

dtp883 wrote:Noob Question: I have never heard /ɮ/ or /ɬ/ pronounced but I always thought they were, well at least /ɬ/ as sort of combination of /l/ and /ʃ/ or something similar.
It's sometimes impressionistically described that way, but really it's more like a fricative /l/ or lateral /s/.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby dtp883 » Mon 24 Aug 2009 4:47 am

So the tongue is raised though?
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Talib » Mon 24 Aug 2009 5:41 am

dtp883 wrote:So the tongue is raised though?
Of course. It's an alveolar consonant.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby adelgado » Mon 24 Aug 2009 7:41 pm

linguoboy wrote:

If that's the case, then how can [s] and [z] be part of it, not to mention [ç] and [ʝ]? [ç] is palatal, [ʃ] is pre-palatal; the difference between these two sounds is so minor that that substitution of one for the other is not uncommon in languages of the world.

Hmm... I mean only the apical part of the tongue cannot leave the lower gun ridge. Let's put it this way, I think it'll explain: If you're holding a chewing gum under your tongue and you're handwalking, you should be able to speak it without letting the gum fall.

So, [s] or [ç] do not require me to raise the tip of my tongue in a way that "would let the gum fall", but [ʃ], [l] or [t̪] (the standard /t/ in B-Portuguese) would "let the gum fall".

dtp883 wrote:

Noob Question: I have never heard /ɮ/ or /ɬ/ pronounced but I always thought they were, well at least /ɬ/ as sort of combination of /l/ and /ʃ/ or something similar. Am I wrong? Also how can you have /k/ and /g/ when the back tongue is raised to the hard palate?

Interesting idea though. I really like it, it sounds like it would sound foreign to most people.

You can hear their sound at [1] and [2]. To pronounce, you put your tongue in the position to perform [ʎ] but instead perform a fricative such as [s].

Thanks y'all for the reply! :)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_ ... _fricative
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_alv ... _fricative
Last edited by adelgado on Mon 24 Aug 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adelgado

Postby adelgado » Mon 24 Aug 2009 7:51 pm

By the way, "Zi Hoi Kal" means "The Beautiful Speech".

Sometimes, we import nouns from Dutch, applying the needed mutations, so /t/ becomes /k/. "Kal" comes from "taal".
adelgado

Bits of Grammar

Postby adelgado » Fri 28 Aug 2009 3:19 am

So, we've got personal pronouns! :-)

I               me
you (sing.)     ce
he              se
she             sei
we              mev
you (pl.)       cev
they (masc.)    sev