New Semester

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

Re: New Semester

Postby Aeetlrcreejl » Wed 19 Aug 2009 9:14 pm

ILuvEire wrote:Omg, why did I say tomorrow? :shock: I meant "this year." I don't start until the 25th. ><

Hey, that's my birthday!

We start a day before y'all.
Aeetlrcreejl

Postby Sobekhotep » Wed 19 Aug 2009 11:32 pm

dtp883 wrote:I begin as a sophomore in high school tomorrow, Wednesday, August 19th to clarify. I live north of San Francisco...in California.

That's rather early. Do you go to a private school?

Aeetlrcreejl wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:Omg, why did I say tomorrow? :shock: I meant "this year." I don't start until the 25th. ><

Hey, that's my birthday!

That's still rather early. Do y'all go to private schools?
Here in Wisconsin, (at least in the Milwaukee area) public high schools usually don't start until after labor day.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby ILuvEire » Thu 20 Aug 2009 1:28 am

Sobekhotep wrote:That's still rather early. Do y'all go to private schools?
Here in Wisconsin, (at least in the Milwaukee area) public high schools usually don't start until after labor day.

No, but in the South, all of the schools start in the middle/end of August. When I was in Tennessee, they started school on the 11 of August, and in Atlanta, GA they started school August 12 (no clue why they started on a Wednesday :D ).
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby dtp883 » Thu 20 Aug 2009 1:58 am

Sobekhotep wrote:
dtp883 wrote:I begin as a sophomore in high school tomorrow, Wednesday, August 19th to clarify. I live north of San Francisco...in California.

That's rather early. Do you go to a private school?

Aeetlrcreejl wrote:

Hey, that's my birthday!

That's still rather early. Do y'all go to private schools?

No, I go to public school. I think in Kindergarten through 2nd grade School started in September around the 4th. And it slowly got earlier starting in third grade although August 19th is the earliest it's been I believe. We get out of school on something like June 6th though.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Aeetlrcreejl » Thu 20 Aug 2009 6:29 am

I do go to a private school, but as ILuvEire said, it's always been this early. When I was younger, school used to start around early August. School ended at around early to mid-May then, and ends at around the end of May now, although for my friends in public school it ends at the beginning of June.
Aeetlrcreejl

Postby Sobekhotep » Fri 21 Aug 2009 7:28 am

ILuvEire wrote:in the South, all of the schools start in the middle/end of August.

I see. Good to know.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Declan » Fri 21 Aug 2009 1:35 pm

Wow, we consider starting back at the very end of August early! We finish at the end of May, except for exam classes who have exams in June.

University here is even more generous, normally, they start back in the middle of September and have exams during May, so they are all finished by the end of May with generous breaks in between.
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Previous

Return to General chat