Is this too much for me to handle?

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: Is this too much for me to handle?

Postby imbecilica » Sat 25 Jul 2009 11:35 am

Well of course I wouldn't be learning them each and every day - there simply isn't that much time. It'd most probably be 3 or 4 hours per language per week, if not 2-3 hours a week for each. Regardless, I think that should be relatively sufficient for now. I don't expect to gain advanced fluency in them but so long as I reach a stage in which I can talk about everyday life subjects confidently, then I'm happy.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby imbecilica » Sat 25 Jul 2009 4:09 pm

¡Hola! Me llamo Chung y tengo dieciocho años. Mi cumpleaño es el doce de septiembre. Hoy es sábado, el veinticinco de julio 2009. En Australia llueve y hace frio. Lol and that´s pretty much how far I´m at with Spanish. :mrgreen: Ah well, that´s a start.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Sobekhotep » Mon 27 Jul 2009 4:46 am

imbecilica wrote:Well of course I wouldn't be learning them each and every day - there simply isn't that much time. It'd most probably be 3 or 4 hours per language per week, if not 2-3 hours a week for each.

That's a problem. You really should study a language every day in order to develop.

imbecilica wrote:En Australia llueve y hace frio.

How cold does it actually get in Australia? It being in the Southern Hemisphere and all...
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Twix93 » Sun 02 Aug 2009 8:24 pm

¡Hola! Me llamo Chung y tengo dieciocho años. Mi cumpleaño es el doce de septiembre. Hoy es sábado, el veinticinco de julio 2009. En Australia llueve y hace frio. Lol and that´s pretty much how far I´m at with Spanish. :mrgreen: Ah well, that´s a start.

I'm learning Spanish too - (it's "cumpleaños" and "frío" I think). I'm currently also learning Italian and so far, no trouble in mixing them - but more of a beginner in Italian. It even helps me a lot because I can guess words in Italian from my Spanish knowledge.

Then you have Spanish and Portuguese. I've dabbled a little bit in both, and I can say that they are very similar, but still different, you're going to run into problems like using uma instead of una in Spanish, or el instead of o in Portuguese. I really recommend that you start with one of those, then add the other one when you reach an intermediate level in the first.

WTS - Spanish and Portuguese seem too similar to be learning at the same level :) - However I've never tried Portuguese.
Native: English
Learning: German, Spanish, Mandarin Characters
Learning for holiday: Italian
Also interested in: Eskimo-Aleut languages, Finnish, Volapük, Lojban, Icelandic, Scandinavian
Twix93

Postby MingShuo » Wed 05 Aug 2009 6:50 pm

dtp883 wrote:I'm not sure there is anything as too ambitious. :D

I've heard that Spanish and Portuguese are very similar and Spanish and Italian are very similar so that could cause you get to confused. But I guess it depends on you I'm learning French and Spanish and the pronunciation and writing are so different, I don't get them confused.

Yes, you're right. not "ambitious", but confusing. Especially between Spanish and Portuguese.
Italian is more different (I'm italian) and I assure you it's another "subject"...just be careful with the Iberian languages not to have a chaos in your mind :D
Native : Italian;
Good: English;
At school: English, Latin, Ancient Greek...!
I'd like to improve and I'm learning: German, Tagalog, Russian, Hungarian;
Some knowledge: Croatian, Arabic, Chinese, Portuguese...
MingShuo

Postby Neqitan » Sat 08 Aug 2009 3:44 am

Yes, Italian is very different from Portuguese and Spanish in both speech and writing. I can't really understand articles in the Italian Wikipedia in the way I can understand Portuguese Wikipedia's...
Neqitan

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 08 Aug 2009 4:35 am

Neqitan wrote:Yes, Italian is very different from Portuguese and Spanish in both speech and writing. I can't really understand articles in the Italian Wikipedia in the way I can understand Portuguese Wikipedia's...

Same here.
On a side note, what if there was an Italian colony in the New World? Let's say the Italians brought slaves from Africa just like the other Europeans did. Now lets say this colony eventually got its independence from Italy. What kind of Italian would they speak? I guess it would depend on which region of Italy the Italian conquerors would have come from.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Stosis » Wed 19 Aug 2009 2:46 am

I don't want to discourage you but starting three new languages at the same time might be a little much. It might be a better idea to stagger them (ie: start learning one now and in a year another, while continuing with the first and then a year later start the third, while still studying the first two as well). Also, no one here can tell you exactly what would be best, we can only give you pointers. It is up to you to decide if you are motivated and, well, just plain smart enough to do it.

I would also like to comment on your choice of languages. While they are all good ones to learn and spoken over wide areas, as well as having many other non-native speakers and speakers living in communities in many countries and of course they all have great literary traditions, I wouldn't recommend learning all of them, at least not now. You see, the problem is that they all use a very similar vocabulary. Once you've learned all three you might look back and think you wasted your time learning slight phonetic and orthographic variations on the same words. This may in fact look like a good thing but keep in mind that, if you say learn Italian and Spanish, you'd find it not to hard to decipher signs and many other forms of written Portuguese. For this reason I do not think it would be a good idea to learn such a small set of languages when the Indo-European family is so much more diverse and that's not to say how small the Italic sub-group is when compared to all languages that are alive today.

But like I said at the beginning of my post, ultimately its up to you!
Stosis

Previous

Return to Language learning