New Semester

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

Re: New Semester

Postby Sobekhotep » Mon 17 Aug 2009 1:48 am

Delodephius wrote:
Sobekhotep wrote:
Delodephius wrote:If you are a foreigner or a Slovak born and living outside of Slovakia you also have greater chances of getting a scholarship, which will pretty much cover ALL of your expenses.

If you're a foreigner, you probably have to demonstrate proficiency in the Slovak language in order to apply.

I don't know. I'll need to ask my brother, but he mentioned they have several students who don't speak Slovak that well at all. I think you get courses in Slovak while you study there.

That's cool. But until they master Slovak they won't understand the lectures in the other classes. :)
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Neqitan » Tue 18 Aug 2009 2:04 am

Aeetlrcreejl wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:English II Pre-AP
Algebra II Pre-AP
Chemistry Pre-AP
World Geography AP
Theatre Arts
Advanced Journalism
Debate II
German II

Not really looking forward to Algebra...

Wow, my school doesn't even let me take this many classes. Are you going to be a sophomore in high school?

Neither schools in British Coolumbia. >:(
Neqitan

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 18 Aug 2009 2:19 am

7 classes are required, but I'm doing an extra class before school (we call it a zero hour), because advanced journalism wont fit into my schedule, and I couldn't drop any of the other classes.

EDIT: And yes, I'm going to be a sophomore in highschool tomorrow.
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Declan » Tue 18 Aug 2009 5:56 pm

What's the difference between a pre-AP class, and one that is, presumably, AP?
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby Aeetlrcreejl » Tue 18 Aug 2009 11:22 pm

In our school the maximum number of classes is six.

Pre-AP classes prepare people for AP classes, which are harder than normal.

My school doesn't start until the 24th, where I will too be a sophomore in high school.
Aeetlrcreejl

Postby Declan » Wed 19 Aug 2009 12:39 am

Aeetlrcreejl wrote:Pre-AP classes prepare people for AP classes, which are harder than normal.

So presumably after a pre-AP class, one would do the AP class in the next semester?

Can I ask then also, and if I'm hijacking feel free to tell me, how you are tested overall then? The education systems I know, obviously Ireland, and a little about the UK, France and Germany, are all focused on final exams that are all held together. For example, our senior cycle, from approximately 16 to 18, is a two year course where one, for all the two years, studies the mandatory subjects I mentioned (English, Irish and Maths as well as a modern European language), and as many options as one likes, three or four. The only choice is whether to sit higher level or ordinary level (or foundation for the mandatory subjects, because the whole Leaving Cert. is void without a pass in them I think), and they are the same for everyone in the country.

Continuing my curiosity, how is entry to university regulated? Here, we must meet the minimum subject requirements, normally things like a C3 (between 55% and 60%) in subjects that are relevant. For example, Chemistry for Pharmacy, Irish for a primary school teacher. Then, the best six results are converted into points. That means that if you round up the percent to the next five, you get the points value, except for 90% to 100% is always 100 points. If there is more demand than places, the people with the highest points are taken.
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby Stosis » Wed 19 Aug 2009 2:30 am

Sobekhotep wrote:
Delodephius wrote:
Sobekhotep wrote:If you are a foreigner or a Slovak born and living outside of Slovakia you also have greater chances of getting a scholarship, which will pretty much cover ALL of your expenses.

If you're a foreigner, you probably have to demonstrate proficiency in the Slovak language in order to apply.

I don't know. I'll need to ask my brother, but he mentioned they have several students who don't speak Slovak that well at all. I think you get courses in Slovak while you study there.

That's cool. But until they master Slovak they won't understand the lectures in the other classes. :)[/quote]
There are many Chinese students that go to the university in my town. Most of them can barely order a meal in English, yet, they apparently get by. It's primarily a math university and is fairly face so I suppose they're coming all the way from China to study math. Maybe this is how they get by.

I'm kind of rambling but my point is that you don't necessarily need to know the language you're studying in very well to study in it. I, myself, have a certificate that qualifies me to go to a German university without having to take any competency test, but I'd never even think about doing it without a thorough review and a lot more practice.
Stosis

Postby Sobekhotep » Wed 19 Aug 2009 3:19 am

ILuvEire wrote:I'm going to be a sophomore in highschool tomorrow.

Do all high schools in Texas start so early? :o My sister's high school don't start until next month.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby dtp883 » Wed 19 Aug 2009 6:46 am

I begin as a sophomore in high school tomorrow, Wednesday, August 19th to clarify. I live north of San Francisco...in California.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby ILuvEire » Wed 19 Aug 2009 7:19 am

Sobekhotep wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:I'm going to be a sophomore in highschool tomorrow.

Do all high schools in Texas start so early? :o My sister's high school don't start until next month.

Omg, why did I say tomorrow? :shock: I meant "this year." I don't start until the 25th. ><
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

PreviousNext

Return to General chat