Languages you'd like to learn...

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: Languages you'd like to learn...

Postby linguoboy » Fri 14 Aug 2009 1:54 am

Sobekhotep wrote:
sokuban wrote:It would just be pretty cool if I could speak a North Korean dialect though don't you think?

How about Koryo-mar [kor:고려(高麗)말/Корё маль]? Apparently that's based on a North Korean dialect.

If I were to learn a Korean dialect, it would be 제주말. It's so fascinatingly divergent, from the retention of 아래아 to archaicisms like 오름 "mountain" and 마 "south (wind)".
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Talib » Fri 14 Aug 2009 2:16 am

I don't understand the interest in the Sámi languages among the linguophile community. They're interesting, sure; but quite frankly what do they have that Finnish or Estonian doesn't?
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Sobekhotep » Fri 14 Aug 2009 2:17 am

linguoboy wrote:If I were to learn a Korean dialect, it would be 제주말. It's so fascinatingly divergent, from the retention of 아래아 to archaicisms like 오름 "mountain" and 마 "south (wind)".

I like the Jeju dialect too. 8-)

Talib wrote:I don't understand the interest in the Sámi languages among the linguophile community. They're interesting, sure; but quite frankly what do they have that Finnish or Estonian doesn't?

Longer words! :mrgreen:
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Talib » Fri 14 Aug 2009 3:10 am

Longer words than Finnish juoksentelisinkohan?
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Neqitan » Fri 14 Aug 2009 11:10 pm

LOL
Because of this, the sentence "He just killed her!" and "I just killed her!" sound exactly the same, meaning that most people in Japan have no idea what is going on around them at any given moment.

I find the pro-drop feature without an excessive verbal agreement interesting. It's also true in Chinese to some extent. T_T
Neqitan

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 15 Aug 2009 2:52 am

Talib wrote:Longer words than Finnish juoksentelisinkohan?

Yes! :mrgreen:
Examples: báikkálašhálddaseapmi, geavaheaddjidovddaldaga
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby mike92s8 » Tue 25 Aug 2009 9:32 pm

Hey all, I had signed up a while back, made about 2 or 3 posts and then lost my internet for awhile :(

Anyway figured since I'm back up and running I'll make a few posts.

I've wanted to learn Irish for a very long time. Probably never will, mostly because I would have no one to talk to. No one to practice pronunciation with. The learning materials are fairly widely availble. Maybe someday just for my own pleasure.
mike92s8

Postby linguoboy » Tue 25 Aug 2009 9:54 pm

Where are you, Mike? There are knots of learners all over North America and even in Continental Europe and Australia. Where I was at university in Germany, the Irish courses were taught by a native speaker from Connemara.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby mike92s8 » Wed 26 Aug 2009 3:17 am

Cleveland, OH

I'll have to check it out. I know that there is an Irish cultural group in my area that is pretty active. Maybe they would have something to say. Right now I'm pretty focused on Spanish. I feel kinda silly not knowing it, seeing as to how much I enjoy learning about languages and it is probably the second most useful language in the US right now (behind English of course)
mike92s8

Postby Sobekhotep » Wed 26 Aug 2009 3:49 am

mike92s8 wrote:I'm pretty focused on Spanish. I feel kinda silly not knowing it, seeing as to how much I enjoy learning about languages and it is probably the second most useful language in the US right now (behind English of course)

Heh, in some parts of the U.S. it may be the most useful, like in Miami, perhaps? And, of course, there's always Puerto Rico. ;)
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

PreviousNext

Return to Language learning