Languages you'd like to learn...

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: Languages you'd like to learn...

Postby Talib » Sun 09 Aug 2009 7:09 pm

Neqitan wrote:Because its sound is awesome, actually, that's what I was originally expecting to find in Arabic, for some strange reason... Unfortunately, its sound is the only reason why I would learn it...
To each their own, but I can't say I like the sound of it at all. I much prefer the eastern dialects (and those are more useful, economically speaking and so on).
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby sokuban » Mon 10 Aug 2009 2:57 pm

A North Korean dialect.

Maybe if the country ever opens up it would be possible or worthwhile, but otherwise... >_<
sokuban

Postby linguoboy » Mon 10 Aug 2009 5:00 pm

sokuban wrote:Maybe if the country ever opens up it would be possible or worthwhile, but otherwise... >_<

There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of speakers of North Korean dialects living in South Korea. Indeed, due to the inaccessibility of the North, most of the recent work on them has been done among migrants in the South, particularly Seoul.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Talib » Mon 10 Aug 2009 6:43 pm

I have to ask, why a North Korean dialect?
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby sokuban » Thu 13 Aug 2009 2:58 am

I wonder myself too.

It would just be pretty cool if I could speak a North Korean dialect though don't you think?

Am I the only one who thinks like that?

>_<

But another reason is because of the thread's nature. A language that you wanted to learn but never would. I wouldn't want to say any other language, because then I'd curse myself and never be able to learn it.

I figured if it is a language that is almost impossible to learn already there is no harm in it.
sokuban

Postby Talib » Thu 13 Aug 2009 4:13 am

Well, barring the abysmal political and economic state of the North vis-à-vis the properous and vital South, I think Korean is hard enough without picking a non-standard dialect.
Talib

Postby Sobekhotep » Thu 13 Aug 2009 4:28 am

sokuban wrote:It would just be pretty cool if I could speak a North Korean dialect though don't you think?

How about Koryo-mar [kor:고려(高麗)말/Корё маль]? Apparently that's based on a North Korean dialect.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Kloiten » Thu 13 Aug 2009 9:01 pm

I would give up a lot to get a chance to learn Northern Sámi. Getting a hold of materials in English and a speaker here in America, though, is nigh impossible. Unless I happen to get stranded in Swedish Sápmi. Then, perhaps, I could also hear Sofia Jannok sing... :)

It would be lovely if I could take on Finnish. Actually, I might, but I doubt I'll get proficient enough to hold an intelligent conversation.

Korean might be needed for a business trip that MIGHT come by, but otherwise... it's way too hard for me, and the materials I have found so far are not living up to their expectations.
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg
Kloiten

Postby Talib » Thu 13 Aug 2009 9:39 pm

Sobekhotep wrote:How about Koryo-mar [kor:고려(高麗)말/Корё маль]? Apparently that's based on a North Korean dialect.
Wow, this is pretty cool: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillization_of_Korean

But again, why learn a dialect spoken by a few expatriates when you could learn the standard language.
Talib

Postby Sobekhotep » Fri 14 Aug 2009 1:37 am

Kloiten wrote:I would give up a lot to get a chance to learn Northern Sámi. Getting a hold of materials in English and a speaker here in America, though, is nigh impossible. Unless I happen to get stranded in Swedish Sápmi. Then, perhaps, I could also hear Sofia Jannok sing... :)

It would be lovely if I could take on Finnish. Actually, I might, but I doubt I'll get proficient enough to hold an intelligent conversation.

I bet there's a lot more material for Sami available in Finnish than in Engliish or Russian. So, if you learned Finnish, you'd get valuable experience in a Uralic language & you'd then be able to learn Northern Sami through Finnish. ;)
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

PreviousNext

Return to Language learning