The Future of Japanese

The place to discuss extinct languages.

The Future of Japanese

Postby Yaziq » Mon 03 Aug 2009 5:06 pm

The population of Japan has been in decline for a long time. It's no secret. I've seen news reports of towns being abandoned simply because nobody is living there. I've seen predictions that around 2050 Japan will have a population about equal to what it was in 1908. What does this mean for the Japanese language? Japan may have to allow more immigration and do more teaching of the language to immigrants to slow down the decline. I don't believe that Japanese will disappear or become extinct any time soon, but watching the Japanese situation may give other threatened or disappearing cultures some ideas about how to hang on to existance.
Yaziq

Re: The Future of Japanese

Postby Dennis » Mon 03 Aug 2009 9:43 pm

I don't think the number of Japanese people will ever be so low that the language/culture can get extinct.

[uninformed opinion]And I don't think the Japanese government is keen on a lot of immigration. They have been in isolation for centuries, and even now, they don't really like foreigners.[/uninformed opinion]
Speak: Dutch, English
Something between reading and speaking: French, German
Read: Latin, Ancient Greek

Japanese: somewhere around JLPT 4 level (out of 5), I guess. Also, I (should) know around 250-300 kanji.
Dennis

Postby Twix93 » Mon 03 Aug 2009 10:17 pm

Yeah, Japan is still very populated (look at the size of Tokyo?) so it shouldn't be a problem for a long time and I highly doubt it'll become extinct. I just worry that English will take over every language in the world and I don't want that to happen. :(
Native: English
Learning: German, Spanish, Mandarin Characters
Learning for holiday: Italian
Also interested in: Eskimo-Aleut languages, Finnish, Volapük, Lojban, Icelandic, Scandinavian
Twix93

Postby Sobekhotep » Tue 04 Aug 2009 5:23 am

Dennis wrote:they don't really like foreigners.

They love them if they're white. :roll:
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Neqitan » Tue 04 Aug 2009 5:35 am

Sobekhotep wrote:
Dennis wrote:they don't really like foreigners.

They love them if they're white. :roll:

Pretty much true. :lol:
Neqitan

Postby Talib » Tue 04 Aug 2009 6:14 am

But oddly, not if they're Asian, or at least Korean...
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Sobekhotep » Wed 05 Aug 2009 12:00 am

Talib wrote:But oddly, not if they're Asian, or at least Korean...

Koreans have it alright. But you're right about other Asians, especially Southeast Asians.
This is a truly unfortunate issue in Japan. But I think they're getting better about it.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby linguoboy » Wed 05 Aug 2009 12:51 am

Yaziq wrote:I don't believe that Japanese will disappear or become extinct any time soon, but watching the Japanese situation may give other threatened or disappearing cultures some ideas about how to hang on to existance.

What other "threatened or disappearing cultures" are in a situation remotely like that of the Japanese? Japan still has over 127 million people. Latvia's growth rate is also negative and there are barely two million of them. If you count only ethnic Latvians, there were more around in 1935 than there are today. But at least they still have their own country, which is more than you can say for the vast majority of ethnic groups in the world.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Yaziq » Wed 05 Aug 2009 9:36 pm

Joe Biden recently remarked that Russia has a declining population base. I suppose the Russian situation is most like that of the Japanese. Admittedly, the reasons for the Russian decline are quite different and more pathological. Russia would benefit from less alcoholism and Japan from less workoholism.
Yaziq

Postby Milantex » Sun 30 Aug 2009 12:02 pm

Maybe if Japanese language gets to lose speakers due to the decline of native speaking population, maybe they should just get rid of Kanji and write everything in Hiragana and Katakana. :D
That would save me a good deal of effort earning it! :D
Milantex

Next

Return to Extinct languages