Hola a todo.

The place to introduce yourselves.

Re: Hola a todo.

Postby dtp883 » Tue 28 Jul 2009 5:42 am

formiko wrote:Languages are also one of the greatest gifts God has given us.


Really? I thought eternal salvation and love are suppose to be his greatest gifts. And languages are a curse put upon the human race when the tribes were scattered at the tower of Babel, so they could never again be unified and work together again, or something like that.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
User avatar
dtp883
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat 18 Apr 2009 10:51 pm
Location: San Francisco Area

Re: Hola a todo.

Postby linguoboy » Sun 02 Aug 2009 7:32 am

formiko wrote:I've studied or done research on almost every language family in North America and a few is SA. So, from my experience, Siouan languages are the easiest for an English speaker and Salishan languages are the hardest for ANYBODY.

My experience is much more limited, but the only Amerind language I ever learned much of--Osage--is Siouan. Navajo kicked my sorry ass more thoroughly than I think any language has ever.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: Hola a todo.

Postby Sobekhotep » Sun 02 Aug 2009 11:39 pm

linguoboy wrote:Navajo kicked my sorry ass more thoroughly than I think any language has ever.

I bet it does that to everybody. :)
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
User avatar
Sobekhotep
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 4:53 am
Location: America's Dairyland

Re: Hola a todo.

Postby Sean of the Dead » Mon 03 Aug 2009 12:41 am

It most likely does. :lol: A month or so ago I thought I might try learning it, but once I learned about its verbs, I realized my dream was totally impossible. :cry: :P
Sean of the Dead
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri 17 Apr 2009 8:46 pm
Location: Renton, WA

Re: Hola a todo.

Postby ILuvEire » Mon 03 Aug 2009 2:03 am

For me, learning Navajo is comparable to attacking a mother grizzly bear and her cubs using an eraser. Sure some Macgyver might be able to pull it off, but your average person would be eaten alive.
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
User avatar
ILuvEire
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 10:42 am
Location: Austin, TX, USA

Re: Hola a todo.

Postby Kotoba_Azul » Mon 03 Aug 2009 2:51 am

dtp883 wrote:
formiko wrote:Languages are also one of the greatest gifts God has given us.


Really? I thought eternal salvation and love are suppose to be his greatest gifts. And languages are a curse put upon the human race when the tribes were scattered at the tower of Babel, so they could never again be unified and work together again, or something like that.


I think he means LANGUAGE as a concept is a gift; as the verse says, the tongue were confused because man tried to build his own way to Heaven. So the concept of speech is a blessing; the fact that many tongues exist is not.

However, it's important to note that Jehovah turns curses into blessings all the time(The Joseph story, anyone?). So what was originally a punishment has turned into something good that gives every land its own flair, and teaches man that to reach a goal, you must work and learn. :)
Languages, from most fluent to more recent: English, Spanish, French, Japanese, Mandarin.
Kotoba_Azul
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon 29 Jun 2009 12:30 am
Location: Los Estados Unidos

Re: Hola a todo.

Postby dtp883 » Mon 03 Aug 2009 9:00 am

Kotoba_Azul wrote:
dtp883 wrote:
formiko wrote:Languages are also one of the greatest gifts God has given us.


Really? I thought eternal salvation and love are suppose to be his greatest gifts. And languages are a curse put upon the human race when the tribes were scattered at the tower of Babel, so they could never again be unified and work together again, or something like that.


I think he means LANGUAGE as a concept is a gift; as the verse says, the tongue were confused because man tried to build his own way to Heaven. So the concept of speech is a blessing; the fact that many tongues exist is not.

However, it's important to note that Jehovah turns curses into blessings all the time(The Joseph story, anyone?). So what was originally a punishment has turned into something good that gives every land its own flair, and teaches man that to reach a goal, you must work and learn. :)


Good point, but to me, it seemed he meant that there is more than one language. And I think many people would find them a curse. To people like us that enjoy languages it's a wonderful blessing but to a lot of people it's just a boundary that separates. Although your point about curses into blessings is nice. :P
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
User avatar
dtp883
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat 18 Apr 2009 10:51 pm
Location: San Francisco Area

Re: Hola a todo.

Postby Sobekhotep » Tue 04 Aug 2009 5:07 am

Sean of the Dead wrote:It most likely does. :lol: A month or so ago I thought I might try learning it, but once I learned about its verbs, I realized my dream was totally impossible. :cry: :P

Navajo verbs are CRAZY! :mrgreen:
On a side note, it seems that the Na-Dené & Yeniseian language families are now excepted as belonging to single Dené-Yeniseian family. This links some languages of North America with some languages of Siberia.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
User avatar
Sobekhotep
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 4:53 am
Location: America's Dairyland

Re: Hola a todo.

Postby Neqitan » Tue 04 Aug 2009 5:48 am

linguoboy wrote:
formiko wrote:I've studied or done research on almost every language family in North America and a few is SA. So, from my experience, Siouan languages are the easiest for an English speaker and Salishan languages are the hardest for ANYBODY.

My experience is much more limited, but the only Amerind language I ever learned much of--Osage--is Siouan. Navajo kicked my sorry ass more thoroughly than I think any language has ever.

Hmm? What's so difficult about Navajo?

*reads the Wikipedia article*

Ok, ok.
User avatar
Neqitan
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri 17 Apr 2009 9:59 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Hola a todo.

Postby dtp883 » Tue 04 Aug 2009 7:23 am

Neqitan wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
formiko wrote:I've studied or done research on almost every language family in North America and a few is SA. So, from my experience, Siouan languages are the easiest for an English speaker and Salishan languages are the hardest for ANYBODY.

My experience is much more limited, but the only Amerind language I ever learned much of--Osage--is Siouan. Navajo kicked my sorry ass more thoroughly than I think any language has ever.

Hmm? What's so difficult about Navajo?

*reads the Wikipedia article*

Ok, ok.


I did the same thing.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
User avatar
dtp883
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat 18 Apr 2009 10:51 pm
Location: San Francisco Area

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests