Is this too much for me to handle?

The place to discuss learning languages

Is this too much for me to handle?

Postby imbecilica » Thu 23 Jul 2009 8:06 pm

Okay well I just recently decided to learn Italian, Portuguese and Spanish all at once. Firstly, do you think this is just too ambitious? If not, can anyone recommend some good basic courses or lessons (preferrably free)? I just feel like fast-tracking myself, I mean I only aim to become at least intermediate in all the 3 within maybe 1 1/2 to 2 years. Again, is this too ambitious?
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Re: Is this too much for me to handle?

Postby dtp883 » Thu 23 Jul 2009 10:26 pm

I'm not sure there is anything as too ambitious. :D

I've heard that Spanish and Portuguese are very similar and Spanish and Italian are very similar so that could cause you get to confused. But I guess it depends on you I'm learning French and Spanish and the pronunciation and writing are so different, I don't get them confused.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Sobekhotep » Thu 23 Jul 2009 11:56 pm

imbecilica wrote:Okay well I just recently decided to learn Italian, Portuguese and Spanish all at once. Firstly, do you think this is just too ambitious? If not, can anyone recommend some good basic courses or lessons (preferrably free)? I just feel like fast-tracking myself, I mean I only aim to become at least intermediate in all the 3 within maybe 1 1/2 to 2 years. Again, is this too ambitious?

I believe it is in your best interest to study 1 language at a time. When 1 language gets all your attention you will advance very quickly. When you try to study several languages at once often the progress is very slow.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Aeetlrcreejl » Fri 24 Jul 2009 1:27 am

I second Sobekhotep.
Aeetlrcreejl

Postby Jayan » Fri 24 Jul 2009 1:38 am

I third Sobekhotep :) .

I've tried learning Danish along with Latin, Spanish, and Japanese (sequentially, not all at once...I'm not that crazy). But I find that I 1.) don't have the time to learn more than one and 2.) I make waaay more progress when I focus all my attention on one. I would especially caution you against learning such similar languages together; maybe choose the one of those that you are most interested in and learn it with a language from another family. Anyways, I'm starting to ramble, so I'll shut up now. :oops: :)
Native/Fluent: English (on a good day :P)
Pursuing fluency: Dansk
Entertaining self with: 日本語
Up next: русский язык
Eventually: Gaeilge|Deutsch|Kiswahili|Suomi
Jayan

Postby Neqitan » Fri 24 Jul 2009 4:44 am

Do you really have the motivation for that?
Neqitan

Postby ILuvEire » Fri 24 Jul 2009 5:20 am

I think that French and one of the others would be a better choice, I tried Italian and Spanish together, it was very confusing, anglese or ingles, stuff like that where the word was similar but not the same got confusing after a while. French is kind of the oddball language, so I don't think it would be a problem to learn it at the same time as another Romance one.

Then you have Spanish and Portuguese. I've dabbled a little bit in both, and I can say that they are very similar, but still different, you're going to run into problems like using uma instead of una in Spanish, or el instead of o in Portuguese. I really recommend that you start with one of those, then add the other one when you reach an intermediate level in the first.

Then again, if it was me, I'd just ditch everything and learn Italian. :D
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby imbecilica » Fri 24 Jul 2009 10:24 am

Neqitan wrote:Do you really have the motivation for that?

:mrgreen: Of course! I'm totally committed to learning all three + Mandarin. I might as well learn them now and see how I go since it'd be a waste of time if I wait and wait until eventually I could end up losing interest in them. Also, it's better to try them now to see how I go! If all goes well I'll continue, if not then at least I would've exposed myself to these languages.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 25 Jul 2009 1:00 am

imbecilica wrote:I'm totally committed to learning all three + Mandarin.

But do you have time to study each language every day?
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Neqitan » Sat 25 Jul 2009 2:12 am

Well, if you really have enough motivation go for it. Personally I could never understand all this Romanticism...
Neqitan

Next

Return to Language learning