Favourite writing system

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

Re: Favourite writing system

Postby Talib » Thu 23 Apr 2009 2:13 am

Don't you mean you love it? Loathe means you hate it.

I think it looks best with all the vowels and other diacritics, but I'm not a fan of the ligatures. They're more for handwriting to me.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Neqitan » Thu 23 Apr 2009 2:58 am

Talib wrote:Don't you mean you love it? Loathe means you hate it.

I didn't know that! :shock: Yes, I love it.

I think it looks best with all the vowels and other diacritics, but I'm not a fan of the ligatures. They're more for handwriting to me.

Exactly, I prefer its handwriting to its printed version just for that. Or fonts that imitate handwriting well for that matter. :D

Seriously, I find it really sexy that Taa' + Miim become something very different. Or Faa' + Yaa' and so on.

And yes, I'm crazy, I know.
Neqitan

Postby Talib » Thu 23 Apr 2009 3:02 am

Well, that's the normal way of spelling في. I don't use the ligatures much myself, aside from لا which is obligatory, but I recognize them when others write them.

Personally I think it's enough of a pain to learn how each letter connects with the others, but to each his own.

How's your Arabic coming along?
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Neqitan » Thu 23 Apr 2009 4:12 am

Talib wrote:Well, that's the normal way of spelling في.

But many fonts don't support that!—being لا the only compulsory one...
I don't use the ligatures much myself, aside from لا which is obligatory, but I recognize them when others write them.

Personally I think it's enough of a pain to learn how each letter connects with the others, but to each his own.

Yeah, to each his own. :lol: I mainly started liking them when I saw a friend's friend writing his name (Saala7) with a laam + 7aa' ligature—but me being unable to recognize it. :oops:

Yes, I love all ligatures but meem + 7aa'/jiim/khaa'. Those look ugly.

How's your Arabic coming along?

I've pretty much put it on hold for now. Two weeks ago I looked at some Mandarin books with which I started learning it and everything made a lot of sense to me! (One of those "Eureka moments" iwsfutcmd used to talk about.) I'll return later, don't worry about it.
Neqitan

Postby imbecilica » Thu 23 Apr 2009 6:23 am

Odd looking "Modern" Vietnamese calligraphy using the Latin script.

Some Hanoian dude doing Chinese calligraphy.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Talib » Thu 23 Apr 2009 7:40 am

Neqitan wrote:But many fonts don't support that!—being لا the only compulsory one...
No, I mean that's the usual way of spelling the word في. It's normal letter-joining, not a ligature, strictly speaking.
Yeah, to each his own. :lol: I mainly started liking them when I saw a friend's friend writing his name (Saala7) with a laam + 7aa' ligature—but me being unable to recognize it. :oops:

Yes, I love all ligatures but meem + 7aa'/jiim/khaa'. Those look ugly.
Ligatures with those letters are among the most common. Most have fallen out of use. There used to be hundreds, some involving three or more letters, like those of Devanagari. You can see why people stopped using them.
I've pretty much put it on hold for now. Two weeks ago I looked at some Mandarin books with which I started learning it and everything made a lot of sense to me! (One of those "Eureka moments" iwsfutcmd used to talk about.) I'll return later, don't worry about it.
Hey, I've had that moment recently. I imagine it takes a lot longer for Mandarin than most languages though.

Sometimes a good long break is just what you need.
Talib

Postby formiko » Thu 23 Apr 2009 9:37 am

I prefer Javanese, Balinese, Georgian, Tibetan and Syriac (Nestorian)
While I think the Cherokee writing system is fantastic, it's too blocky to be beautiful.
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Delodephius » Thu 23 Apr 2009 1:08 pm

Speaking of ligatures, anyone ever heard or saw Cyrillic ones? They are heavily used in Church Slavonic texts. Here is an example of ligatures used in a 14th century manuscript of the New Testament from the monastery of Hilandar. There are also variants of some letters which span from the 12th to the 15th century.

Lower-case letters with variants

Lower-case ligatures

Upper-case letters with variants

Upper-case ligatures
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Epp » Thu 23 Apr 2009 1:29 pm

Delodephius wrote:Lower-case ligatures
The second one from the left looks familiar! :o
But, but; it's not only-only, you know!
Epp

Postby Delodephius » Thu 23 Apr 2009 1:39 pm

You're right! I didn't notice it. Weird... anyway, in Cyrillic it is a ligature for /sa/.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

PreviousNext

Return to Writing systems