SLAVIC CORNER

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

Re: SLAVIC CORNER

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 11 Jul 2009 7:22 am

linguoboy wrote:
Sobekhotep wrote:
Delodephius wrote:Arabic was independently used in Belarus by the Muslim Tatars

But Tatar is a Turkic language.

I assumed he meant "when writing Slavic".

I don't make assumptions. Everybody knows what happens when you make an assumption...

Delodephius wrote:Do you always have to nitpick? Try to figure out what I meant if I made a mistake, because I don't always pay that much attention to what I write.

Right, so if you make a mistake I'm supposed to try to figure out what you really meant? Because I'm a mind-reader, right? :roll:
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Delodephius » Sat 11 Jul 2009 1:19 pm

Exactly. No, I'm serious. Since far as I remember I lived with a concept my father thought my: domýšlanie. The closest translation I found in English was "to think out". For example, when I talk to someone who has some speech impairment the only way to understand that person is to think out what he is saying. Yes, I do make assumptions, but that is far better than insulting that person by asking him/her to repeat what he/she said. Even when I talk to people who speak normally. If I ask someone to repeat what they said I will get this "are you stupid look" almost every time. Always try to think out what the other person is saying because not everyone is careful with what they say. I'm not all the time, since I over time learned to expect people to think out some parts of what I'm saying. It takes experience but it is possible to take the mistakes done by assumptions to a minimal.

Just a hint for you if you ever decide to visit Vojvodina.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Kloiten » Sun 12 Jul 2009 4:14 am

Delodephius wrote:
Yes, I do make assumptions, but that is far better than insulting that person by asking him/her to repeat what he/she said.

How is asking to repeat what someone said insulting? If you didn't hear them, what are you supposed to do? Hang yourself if you don't know what they wanted to say?

Delodephius wrote:Just a hint for you if you ever decide to visit Vojvodina.

Then Vojvodina must be a unique, one-of-a-kind place where people can't ask for people to repeat themselves.

Besides, Sobekhotep wasn't asking you to repeat yourself. He didn't understand what you meant by what you said so, in essence, he asked you to explain what you meant.

Dedolphius wrote:Do you always have to nitpick? Try to figure out what I meant if I made a mistake, because I don't always pay that much attention to what I write.

It's your fault if you don't read what you write, not others'; if you can't write properly, don't write at all.
..Eh, I have a feeling I'm going on his ignore list...
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg
Kloiten

Postby linguoboy » Sun 12 Jul 2009 5:12 am

Sobekhotep wrote:I don't make assumptions.

You can't possibly be telling the truth. If you really didn't make any assumptions at all, you couldn't actually communicate.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Sobekhotep » Sun 12 Jul 2009 7:18 am

Thank you for that. I didn't know about these Lipka Tatars.

Delodephius wrote:Since far as I remember I lived with a concept my father thought my: domýšlanie.

"Subaudition" is a rather scholarly word which refers to understanding something not explicitly expressed. This is the equivalent of domýšlení (Czech) which is probably the same as domýšlanie.

Delodephius wrote:Just a hint for you if you ever decide to visit Vojvodina.

No offense, but Serbia is not on my list of countries I want to visit. Not that I don't like Serbia, but, you know, I can't go everywhere!
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Delodephius » Sun 12 Jul 2009 12:49 pm

"Subaudition" is a rather scholarly word which refers to understanding something not explicitly expressed. This is the equivalent of domýšlení (Czech) which is probably the same as domýšlanie.

Thank you for this word. :)

Then Vojvodina must be a unique, one-of-a-kind place where people can't ask for people to repeat themselves.

Different countries have different costumes and traditions. Not asking someone to repeat him/herself is considered inappropriate, especially if it is an elderly person.

Besides, Sobekhotep wasn't asking you to repeat yourself. He didn't understand what you meant by what you said so, in essence, he asked you to explain what you meant.

I was making a bit different example, but asking someone to explain themselves I forgot to mention because I thought it was obvious that I also meant that. So to use my newly learned word: you should have used subaudition. Domysli si nasledovný krát bratku!
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Previous

Return to Languages other than English