Cúinne na Gaeilge

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

Re: Cúinne na Gaeilge

Postby Sean of the Dead » Sat 11 Jul 2009 6:33 am

Yeah. :lol: Just got it about 3 hours ago. :) Sorry hun. :oops: <3
Sean of the Dead

Postby Declan » Sat 11 Jul 2009 4:15 pm

Go n-éirí an t-adh leat (Good luck if you haven't gotten that far :lol: )! Tá súil agam go mbainfidh tú taitneamh as.

Do you always spell your name "sean"? I just noticed that ILuvÉire spelled it with a síneadh fada but you didn't. And in case you're interested, sean means old, séan means deny or knowledge, and seán is your name. It's a great example of the importance of síntí fada in Irish.
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby linguoboy » Sat 11 Jul 2009 7:31 pm

Declan wrote:And in case you're interested, sean means old, séan means deny or knowledge, and seán is your name.

My impression has always been that there are two variants: Séan (anglicised "Shane") and Seán (anglicised "Shaun"). I'm not sure what the history is here--whether Séan might be related to Séanna or if this is an instance of the same sort of shift seen in Míchéal > Mícheál, oiléan > oileán, etc. At any rate, because of the reference to Shaun of the Dead, I've always assumed our Sean is a Seán rather than a Séan.

As for the Stenson books, they've come highly recommended to me but I've never used them myself. I'm curious; what is it you didn't like about them, a Sheáin?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Sean of the Dead » Sat 11 Jul 2009 9:04 pm

Haha, yeah, my name is officially spelt "Sean", and that without the fada it means "old", but I'm asking people to spell it as "Seán", which is pronounced the same as my name. Does anyone know if it is possible to officially have diacritics in your name here in the USA? I've seen people with acute accents and the like, but I don't know if they just spelt it that way because they liked it, or if that was the official way to spell it. If you can, I'm totally changing my name to Seán. :D (By official I mean that was put on your birth certificate, and what goes on credit cards and whatnot ;) ) And good job noticing the reference, not many people do. Do you love that movie also? :) 8-)

I don't really like the layout and exercises of those books, and that they don't come with audio, which is required when learning to speak Irish. :P
Sean of the Dead

Postby Declan » Sat 11 Jul 2009 10:01 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Declan wrote:And in case you're interested, sean means old, séan means deny or knowledge, and seán is your name.

My impression has always been that there are two variants: Séan (anglicised "Shane") and Seán (anglicised "Shaun").

I thought that Shane came from the Ulster pronunciation of Seán, because Séan is not a given Irish name.

And as for audio when learning, I was in the Gaeltacht for three weeks, and the priest there learned his Irish from a book without audio in South Africa, so múintir na háite haven't a clue what he says!
Declan

Postby ILuvEire » Sat 11 Jul 2009 11:19 pm

I've been writing Seán for his name for a while, it's just become a habit. :P And I'm nearly 100% sure you can have accents on your birth certificate, my good friend Asanté has the accent on her passport. Then again, she is from South Africa, so maybe they only allow it on non native names?

I've a question about the vocative case, is it used with foreign names? Would I be "a Thyler" (or summat like that) or just "a Tyler."
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby linguoboy » Sun 12 Jul 2009 4:59 am

Declan wrote:I thought that Shane came from the Ulster pronunciation of Seán, because Séan is not a given Irish name.

Nach Éireannach é Séan Neeson? Ansin cárb as é?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Declan » Sun 12 Jul 2009 12:07 pm

ILuvEire wrote:I've been writing Seán for his name for a while, it's just become a habit. :P And I'm nearly 100% sure you can have accents on your birth certificate, my good friend Asanté has the accent on her passport. Then again, she is from South Africa, so maybe they only allow it on non native names?
It's quite a pain for Irish people with síntí fada on their names to go abroad to countries that normally don't have síntí fada! As far as I know, when filling out those forms for going to America, you do not put in accents.

ILuvÉire wrote:I've a question about the vocative case, is it used with foreign names? Would I be "a Thyler" (or summat like that) or just "a Tyler."

I don't think there is an Irish spelling or pronunciation of Tyler, so "a tyler" looks good to me. Probably pronunced "a thyler". Since you are into writing síntí fada now, you do know that ILuvÉire also has a síneadh fada?

linguoboy wrote:
Declan wrote:I thought that Shane came from the Ulster pronunciation of Seán, because Séan is not a given Irish name.

Nach Éireannach é Séan Neeson? Ansin cárb as é?

Níl a fhois agam. Ní fhaca mé Séan riamh mar ainm, agus gach Shane atá aithne agam air, ná Seán as Gaeilge.
Declan

Postby ILuvEire » Mon 13 Jul 2009 12:33 pm

Ah, you know, I had forgot there was a fada on Éire. I'm going to use it from now on. :)
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Sean of the Dead » Wed 05 Aug 2009 2:50 am

Cén chaoi a bhfuil tú? :D
Sean of the Dead

PreviousNext

Return to Languages other than English