Cornish

The place to discuss endangered languages, and efforts being made to revive them.

Cornish

Postby Sean of the Dead » Sun 19 Apr 2009 10:02 pm

Anyone here interested in learning Cornish? It's by far my favorite Celtic language, and fortunately they are enough materials to at least get to intermediate/advanced online, but you'll need to buy a dictionary.

If anyone would like resources for it I'll share what I have with you. I know Simon wants to learn Cornish, so maybe he as some things I don't. (:
Sean of the Dead

Re: Cornish

Postby Admin » Wed 22 Apr 2009 1:18 pm

I have a couple of Cornish courses - Talk Now! Learn Cornish, which is fun and teaches you basic words and phrases, and TeachMe! Cornish, which teaches you more than the Talk Now! course.

There are other suggestions for Cornish courses on my Cornish book store page, and links to online courses on my Cornish page.

There's some discussion on Cornish language courses on this forum.

An Buro is a good place to find news stories in Cornish, and there are plenty of recordings of Cornish,as well as texts and poems on Kernewegva.com
Simon, Administrator
One language is never enough / Dydy un iaith byth yn ddigon / 一種語言永遠不夠
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Glas » Tue 28 Apr 2009 6:12 pm

I really, really want to learn Cornish, but the different orthographies are a little off-putting for me. I'm torn between wanting to learn one that would have the most resources available, and one that would be closer to the original language (I'm a bit of a traditionalist I suppose - is that the right word? I have no idea).
It would be great if it were possible to learn Cornish through Welsh, but I think that's pushing it!
Glas

Postby linguoboy » Tue 28 Apr 2009 9:15 pm

Glas wrote:I really, really want to learn Cornish, but the different orthographies are a little off-putting for me.

Didn't you hear? They finally settled one one: Furv Scrifys Savonek. (There's a link to the official specification at the bottom of the page.)
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Glas » Wed 29 Apr 2009 7:36 am

linguoboy wrote:
Glas wrote:I really, really want to learn Cornish, but the different orthographies are a little off-putting for me.

Didn't you hear? They finally settled one one: Furv Scrifys Savonek. (There's a link to the official specification at the bottom of the page.)

Yes I did, but aren't people still arguing about it? Isn't it a little too similar to Kemmyn for those who know UCR? I think that's the main problem for them. Although, it's fine for me since the Cornish I do know is Kemmyn.
Glas

Postby linguoboy » Wed 29 Apr 2009 5:54 pm

Glas wrote:Yes I did, but aren't people still arguing about it?

Of course--these are Celts we're talking about, after all. There are still people arguing about Caighdeán Oifigiúil in Ireland. Doesn't change the fact that it's what 90%+ of everything you read will be written in. There will be private holdouts, just as there are with Irish, but I expect this means that anything printed in Cornish with government money--which probably includes most learning materials--will use FSS from now on.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Wed 19 May 2010 1:24 am

The first time I heard of Cornish was in a cat book :)
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby Alisbet » Mon 27 Dec 2010 6:01 am

I think that Cornish is an exotic language and that's all i guess.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.
Alisbet

Postby Hershele Ostropoler » Wed 26 Oct 2011 12:36 am

Jenner's book is available free on Kindle
English speaker (New York dialect)
Interested in:
  • Icelandic
  • Lithuanian
  • Hungarian
  • Yiddish
  • Irish
  • Welsh