Thinking in Learned Languages

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

Re: Thinking in Learned Languages

Postby linguoboy » Tue 02 Jun 2009 4:02 pm

Sean of the Dead wrote:@Sokuban: I wouldn't necessarily say my German has more words for a certain subject than English, but sometimes I feel that I can express myself better in German than an equivalent sentence in English, but I can't think of any examples. :P

I sometimes find myself using "beziehungsweise" in English because the English equivalents ("as the case may be", etc.) are often rather awkward.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby SamD » Thu 04 Jun 2009 9:04 pm

I might start in a conversation or other situation thinking in English, but I shift pretty quickly to the learned language. Several years ago I was in Montreal and had begun to think in French. I saw a sign that read "men's suits" and tried to figure out which parts of the verbs mentir and suivre those were and why they would go together.
SamD

Postby linguoboy » Thu 04 Jun 2009 10:28 pm

SamD wrote:I saw a sign that read "men's suits" and tried to figure out which parts of the verbs mentir and suivre those were and why they would go together.

This happens to me with signs and the like as well. When I was intensely studying Irish, my first reaction to any new word with an even vaguely acceptable orthography according to Irish norms was to try to read it as if it were Irish. For instance, a co-worker drove me mad with a t-shirt for the D-beat band "Disfear" because I kept trying to read it as the future autonomous form of the non-existent Irish verb *dis.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Previous

Return to General chat