Hullo (:

The place to introduce yourselves.

Re: Hullo (:

Postby Neqitan » Sat 30 May 2009 10:43 pm

Sobekhotep wrote:I'm guessing this post is highlighting the irony that Arabic, a language with extreme diglossia, is the focus language for Talib. :)

Yep, pretty much.

By the way, how does my post look in your computer? (The question also goes to the rest of the people here.) I'm experimenting with Unicode so that Arabic punctuation doesn't look so bad, as usual.

In my original post it looks like this:

But because when you quoted me you erased my Unicode point, then it looks all messed up in your post:

This was displayed using Firefox 3.0.
Neqitan

Postby sokuban » Sun 31 May 2009 12:44 am

Neqitan wrote:‏(استخدام التهكم مسل في اللغة...) ‏

Here, I successfully quoted you while keeping your unicode point.
sokuban

Postby formiko » Sun 31 May 2009 4:39 am

sokuban wrote:
Neqitan wrote:‏(استخدام التهكم مسل في اللغة...) ‏

Here, I successfully quoted you while keeping your unicode point.

I did too...Maybe someone's using IE?
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby ILuvEire » Mon 01 Jun 2009 1:56 am

Talib wrote:I don't think retroflex consonants or front rounded vowels are hard, but Danish's "stød" (whatever the heck that is) and devoiced stops are really hard for me.

Stød is a kind of glottalization, and it's really fun to play with. I wish I knew some native Danish speakers so I could try it out.

But anyway, I love all North Germanic languages (except for maybe Faroese, I don't know much about it).
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Talib » Mon 01 Jun 2009 3:28 am

I'm guessing this post is highlighting the irony that Arabic, a language with extreme diglossia, is the focus language for Talib.
Don't I know that. Sigh.

Though lately I've been pondering which dialect to get started on (finally) and trying to find one that's both conservative and widely understood. My friend recommended Syrian; although I dislike Syria for political reasons, it's similar enough to the other Levantine dialects.
Neqitan wrote:قطعا

طالب العربية

‏(استخدام التهكم مسل في اللغة...)

طالب العربية, that's me.

My advice for Arabic/Hebrew punctuation is to not use it, basically.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Neqitan » Mon 01 Jun 2009 3:19 pm

What I found out is that Arabic punctuation looks perfectly in browsers as long as it's in either the beginning or in the middle of right-to-left letters. But when placed at the end, browsers move it weirdly all the way to the right, as if they were left-to-right letters.

So a sweet workaround would be adding an invisible right-to-left letter at the end. That's this Unicode point: &#x200F, the so-called "Right to left marker", since most browsers of today don't read it anyways.

(Ironically, its original function was to actually provide full support for right-to-left punctuation, but browsers don't support it. In Unilang the admin created a script that forces browsers to use it well though.)

So as long as I add this point at the end, the punctuation looks great! Much like those times when people had to place those vowels in Hindi that are placed at the left of their consonant, before the consonant, because fonts didn't support it.

िहन्दी instead of हिन्दी :lol:

Yeah, one day Right-to-left punctuation will finally be supported... Let's be patient....
Neqitan

Postby linguoboy » Mon 01 Jun 2009 4:05 pm

Talib wrote:Though lately I've been pondering which dialect to get started on (finally) and trying to find one that's both conservative and widely understood. My friend recommended Syrian; although I dislike Syria for political reasons, it's similar enough to the other Levantine dialects.

Lebneniye FTW!
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Talib » Mon 01 Jun 2009 7:27 pm

linguoboy wrote:Lebneniye FTW!
لهجة اللبنانية, eh. It's widely understood due to popular music so it's an option. But any Levantine dialect will do since that's my area of focus.

هل تتكلم اللبنانية قليلاً؟
Yeah, one day Right-to-left punctuation will finally be supported... Let's be patient....
Until that day I prefer to avoid punctuation. Besides the rules about its use are totally vague, since it's of course a relatively recent Westernization.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Sobekhotep » Mon 01 Jun 2009 9:54 pm

Neqitan wrote:By the way, how does my post look in your computer? (The question also goes to the rest of the people here.) I'm experimenting with Unicode so that Arabic punctuation doesn't look so bad, as usual.

In my original post it looks like this:

But because when you quoted me you erased my Unicode point, then it looks all messed up in your post:

This was displayed using Firefox 3.0.

Your original post looks exactly the way it looks in my quote, not like in the image you uploaded.

formiko wrote:Maybe someone's using IE?

Blasphemy! :mrgreen:
I'm using Google Chrome.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Previous

Return to Introductions