Celtic Languages

The place to discuss endangered languages, and efforts being made to revive them.

Celtic Languages

Postby jan.zajec » Fri 22 May 2009 9:56 pm

Hello everybody,

is anyone interested in Celtic languages? Wanting to learn them, or already speak them? I find those languages so melodic and that's why I love them :)

so, answers welcome ;)
Native: slovenščina
Good: English, français, Deutsch
Basic: castellano, italiano, hrvatski, српски, bosanski, црногорски, македонски, polski, русский, magyar, Latina, Ἑλληνική, СЛОВѢНЬСКЪІИ
Wishes: brezhoneg, Kernewek, Gaeilge, Gaelg, Gàidhlig, Cymraeg
jan.zajec

Re: Celtic Languages

Postby linguoboy » Fri 22 May 2009 10:15 pm

As you may recall from the last incarnation of the board, I have basic Irish and Welsh. My knowledge of Gaelic is passive and I don't understand much Manx, Cornish, or Breton.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Sean of the Dead » Fri 22 May 2009 10:16 pm

I will learn Cornish, and maybe Manx. Welsh and Breton are ok, but I don't really like Scottish or irish Gaelic. :P
Sean of the Dead

Postby ILuvEire » Sat 23 May 2009 2:18 am

I understand basic Welsh, and I can write even basicer Welsh. :)

I love all the Brythonic languages, they sound so pretty. I prefer the look of Irish over Scottish Gaelic, but Manx looks awful.
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby linguoboy » Sat 23 May 2009 4:06 am

ILuvEire wrote:I understand basic Welsh, and I can write even basicer Welsh.

Pan gest ti crap arni hi, a lle?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Sean of the Dead » Sat 23 May 2009 6:13 am

Manx looks funny, in a cool way. :lol: :D
Sean of the Dead

Postby ILuvEire » Sat 23 May 2009 4:51 pm

linguoboy wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:I understand basic Welsh, and I can write even basicer Welsh.

Pan gest ti crap arni hi, a lle?

A few months ago.
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Declan » Sat 23 May 2009 4:57 pm

I speak Irish reasonably well, it's certainly the language I have most knowledge of. I can understand bits of Scots, but I'm not that familiar with the Donegal dialect of Irish. I feel it wouldn't be too difficult for me to learn though, certainly I could get a basic standard pretty quickly.
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby jan.zajec » Sat 23 May 2009 7:06 pm

I am crazy about Celtic languages. I have irish, welsh and scottsih dict, plus a short conversation course for irish (I couldn't find books concerning other celt. languages here in slovenia, so next time i'm off to london, i'll return with plenty of books ... :) ). I am so enthusiastic that i don't know where to start... do you guys think it's wise to study more languages at once (and they are similar, so one can make many mistakes...)

any suggestions, where and how to start and which order to follow ...

at the end, i want to speak'em all ... ;) or at least understand :)
Native: slovenščina
Good: English, français, Deutsch
Basic: castellano, italiano, hrvatski, српски, bosanski, црногорски, македонски, polski, русский, magyar, Latina, Ἑλληνική, СЛОВѢНЬСКЪІИ
Wishes: brezhoneg, Kernewek, Gaeilge, Gaelg, Gàidhlig, Cymraeg
jan.zajec

Postby anna » Sat 23 May 2009 7:24 pm

Go for it Jan, and good luck! I shouldn't think there would be too much trouble with learning a P-Celtic and a Q-Celtic language together, as they are so different. I am a Welsh speaker but have absolutely no idea what Irish speakers are saying (when they speak Irish at least!)

Welsh, Cornish, Breton are the P-Celtic languages in your list, by the way, the others are Q-Celtic.

If I were you, and you are as enthusiastic as that, I would start off with Welsh and Irish, as those are the two you will get most material for. Have you looked for stuff on the internet?
anna

Next

Return to Endangered languages and language revival