What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Delodephius » Tue 19 May 2009 6:54 pm

Sobekhotep wrote:
Delodephius wrote:It's funny how the term Slav is used all the time, but does anyone use a single term for Romance or Germanic speakers.

Italic peoples are the speakers of the Italic (or Romance) languages & we also have the Germanic & Celtic peoples.


When was the last time you read in any newspaper something like "a Romance man..." or "the Germanics from the countryside..."? Western newspapers often use term Slavs when not being specific of their nationality.

Sobekhotep wrote:
Delodephius wrote:Some Slavic speakers even resent being called Slavs because they, rightfully, consider it misleading.

Who? Bulgarians? Because of the Turkic Bulgar substrate?


Most South Slavs. Since they are mostly descendants of the pre-Slavic inhabitants of the Balkans that adopted Slavic languages they resent being grouped together with people from West and East Slavic group who are very different from them. Pan-Slavists always try to look for similarities between Slavs, but they fail to see the canyon in between.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
User avatar
Delodephius
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri 17 Apr 2009 10:45 pm
Location: Сербія, Войводина

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Sobekhotep » Tue 19 May 2009 7:24 pm

Delodephius wrote:When was the last time you read in any newspaper something like "a Romance man..." or "the Germanics from the countryside..."? Western newspapers often use term Slavs when not being specific of their nationality.

I don't read newspapers. :mrgreen: But I think I see your point.

Delodephius wrote:
Sobekhotep wrote:
Delodephius wrote:Some Slavic speakers even resent being called Slavs because they, rightfully, consider it misleading.

Who? Bulgarians? Because of the Turkic Bulgar substrate?


Most South Slavs. Since they are mostly descendants of the pre-Slavic inhabitants of the Balkans that adopted Slavic languages they resent being grouped together with people from West and East Slavic group who are very different from them. Pan-Slavists always try to look for similarities between Slavs, but they fail to see the canyon in between.

What are some of those differences?
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
User avatar
Sobekhotep
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 4:53 am
Location: America's Dairyland

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby linguoboy » Tue 19 May 2009 7:51 pm

Delodephius wrote:We are a rare breed. And out of all the Slavic languages I'm least interested in Russian the only Slavic language people here are at least considering to learn.

Actually, I don't care for Russian either, which is a shame because it's always been the one I've had the most cause to use. One of my direct reports at work is a Russian speaker, and we get a fair number of publications in Russian here (certainly more than in any other Slavic language). Also, my older brother speaks it and I've picked some up helping him study. But I've never retained much because, feh, it's Russian.

At one time or another, I've studied some Czech and some Croatian (the unofficial lingua franca of Chicago's building engineers); currently, I'm trying to learn some Polish (the unofficial lingua franca of its carpenters). But this is all very much an afterthought compared to my interest in the languages listed in my .sig.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Delodephius » Tue 19 May 2009 8:12 pm

What are some of those differences?


Well you'll have to read on about it or come live here and see for yourself. Music for example is the first and most obvious thing that separates South Slavs from other Slavs. Then there are manners, outlook on life, tolerance, food preferences, goals in life, etc. I for example like to compare South Slavs with Americans from the southern states, and West Slavs with Canadians. East Slavs come somewhere in between. You could also push Macedonians and Bulgarians to Mexico and Slovenians to California. Surprisingly it actually all fits. :lol:
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
User avatar
Delodephius
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri 17 Apr 2009 10:45 pm
Location: Сербія, Войводина

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby linguoboy » Tue 19 May 2009 9:25 pm

Delodephius wrote:You could also push Macedonians and Bulgarians to Mexico and Slovenians to California. Surprisingly it actually all fits. :lol:

If Slovenia is California, then what is Austria? Slovenians always struck me as Austrians who simply happen to speak a Slavic language.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Talib » Tue 19 May 2009 10:14 pm

West Slavs with Canadians
Hey, I'm both.

I would undoubtedly feel more connected with my heritage if my father had passed on the Polish language and if I still attended Mass, but there you go.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 8:22 am
Location: Canada

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Delodephius » Tue 19 May 2009 10:45 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Delodephius wrote:You could also push Macedonians and Bulgarians to Mexico and Slovenians to California. Surprisingly it actually all fits. :lol:

If Slovenia is California, then what is Austria? Slovenians always struck me as Austrians who simply happen to speak a Slavic language.

Austrians are actually descendants of Bavarian colonists and miners who settled in regions inhabited by Old Slovak-Slovenian speakers. Austrians are just Slovenians/Slovaks who simply happen to speak a Germanic language. :o
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
User avatar
Delodephius
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri 17 Apr 2009 10:45 pm
Location: Сербія, Войводина

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Sobekhotep » Wed 20 May 2009 10:16 pm

Delodephius wrote:Music for example is the first and most obvious thing that separates South Slavs from other Slavs.

That's absolutely true.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
User avatar
Sobekhotep
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 4:53 am
Location: America's Dairyland

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby SamD » Thu 21 May 2009 6:09 pm

Here are some languages on my wish list:

Portuguese
Norwegian
Latin
Greek
Bahasa Indonesia
SamD
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 2:09 am

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Sobekhotep » Thu 21 May 2009 7:48 pm

SamD wrote:Here are some languages on my wish list:

Portuguese
Norwegian
Latin
Greek
Bahasa Indonesia

Indonesian's the odd one out. :)
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
User avatar
Sobekhotep
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 4:53 am
Location: America's Dairyland

PreviousNext

Return to Language learning

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests

cron