What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Neqitan » Mon 18 May 2009 9:16 pm

Delodephius wrote:Is there anyone here apart from me who is region biased? Or maybe language group biased? I see people here mostly each want to learn a number of diverse language from different parts of the world.

Not here but it's pretty common to find people fascinated with either the Romance or the Germanic family now and then, though you're the only one I've met so far into the Slavic family. ;)
Neqitan

Postby Delodephius » Mon 18 May 2009 9:30 pm

We are a rare breed. And out of all the Slavic languages I'm least interested in Russian the only Slavic language people here are at least considering to learn. I don't plan to improve my knowledge of Russian any time soon. I regret spending half a year learning it. I could have spent it on some other language/s.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Talib » Mon 18 May 2009 10:22 pm

It's pretty obvious that I'm into a specific family but I would consider branching out. As far as Slavics go, I'd probably pick Polish or maybe Czech. Russian seems too complicated.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Neqitan » Mon 18 May 2009 11:16 pm

Talib wrote:It's pretty obvious that I'm into a specific family but I would consider branching out. As far as Slavics go, I'd probably pick Polish or maybe Czech. Russian seems too complicated.

By the way, I remember you mentioning you're a Slav. Do you speak any Slavic language as a heritage speaker by any chance?
Neqitan

Postby Delodephius » Mon 18 May 2009 11:26 pm

By the way, I remember you mentioning you're a Slav.

It's funny how the term Slav is used all the time, but does anyone use a single term for Romance or Germanic speakers. I mean, an entire language group of people who belong to different cultures, religions and histories, that just share a common and very obscure origin are always grouped under one linguistic term. Some Slavic speakers even resent being called Slavs because they, rightfully, consider it misleading. But that is another topic I just got an idea for. :idea:

Carry on. :arrow:
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Neqitan » Tue 19 May 2009 12:11 am

Delodephius wrote:
By the way, I remember you mentioning you're a Slav.

It's funny how the term Slav is used all the time, but does anyone use a single term for Romance or Germanic speakers. I mean, an entire language group of people who belong to different cultures, religions and histories, that just share a common and very obscure origin are always grouped under one linguistic term. Some Slavic speakers even resent being called Slavs because they, rightfully, consider it misleading. But that is another topic I just got an idea for. :idea:

I had never noticed that myself! :!: It's like U.S.'s "Hispanic": Be it black, native american, white or mestizo, if they speaks Spanish it's a Hispanic. :lol:
Neqitan

Postby Talib » Tue 19 May 2009 5:41 am

Neqitan wrote:By the way, I remember you mentioning you're a Slav. Do you speak any Slavic language as a heritage speaker by any chance?
No, although my father knew some Polish, he didn't pass it on. I wish I'd been raised bilingual. I'd use it all the time. However, such is life.
It's funny how the term Slav is used all the time, but does anyone use a single term for Romance or Germanic speakers. I mean, an entire language group of people who belong to different cultures, religions and histories, that just share a common and very obscure origin are always grouped under one linguistic term.
I'm not an expert but I think Slavs share a lot in common culturally, maybe not South Slavs so much because of the geographic isolation.

Romance peoples are called Latins sometimes, and Germanic peoples are called, well, Germanic.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby dtp883 » Tue 19 May 2009 6:02 am

Delodephius wrote:Is there anyone here apart from me who is region biased? Or maybe language group biased? I see people here mostly each want to learn a number of diverse language from different parts of the world.

There is me. Other than Hebrew (which I am currently NOT learning) I want to learn Spanish, French and maybe later Italian and Portuguese.

(Apart from being similar, sharing many cognates with my native tongue and sounding beautiful to me I also find them to be useful. Like, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and English can pretty much make you understood on both of the American Continents. Plus about a third of Europe and the various small Latin countries scattered through out Africa and Southern Asia. And I don't know about Italian, but that is why it is last.)
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Elvin » Tue 19 May 2009 10:35 am

Does someone wants to learn Azerbaijani language.
First of all its very beautiful language and more than 30 million people in Iran speak this language. Turkish and Azerbaijani are alike languages, if you speak Azerbaijani then you can easily speak and understand Turkish and Uzbek languages. Peoples in Georgia, Iran, Armenia, Turkey, Khazakhstan, Uzbekistan speaks in this languages besides their official language.

I really advise to learn Azerbaijani language-the language of very civilized and high cultural country. It is the language of Land of Fire.

elvin

Salam əziz Azərbaycan dili öyrənənlər
Elvin

Postby Sobekhotep » Tue 19 May 2009 6:37 pm

If you look at my list you'll notice that all but one are Asian languages. Of those Asian languages, all but one are spoken primarily in East Asia, the other in Southeast Asia. So, I'm definitely region biased. :D

Delodephius wrote:It's funny how the term Slav is used all the time, but does anyone use a single term for Romance or Germanic speakers.

Italic peoples are the speakers of the Italic (or Romance) languages & we also have the Germanic & Celtic peoples.

Delodephius wrote:Some Slavic speakers even resent being called Slavs because they, rightfully, consider it misleading.

Who? Bulgarians? Because of the Turkic Bulgar substrate?

Elvin wrote:if you speak Azerbaijani then you can easily speak and understand Turkish and Uzbek languages.

I don't know about that. I don't think Uzbek speakers can understand the Oghuz languages.

Elvin wrote:Azerbaijani language-the language of very civilized and high cultural country.

Azerbaijan is a serious human rights offender, on par with the likes of Egypt & Russia.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

PreviousNext

Return to Language learning