Reasons for inventing con-scripts

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

Re: Reasons for inventing con-scripts

Postby Neqitan » Mon 18 May 2009 9:40 pm

sokuban wrote:I really need to find out how you people find people other than yourself who are even remotely interested enough to bother deciphering secret messages. >_>

As I said, I write in my conscripts so nobody can understand that, so I don't even bother to. :D

I tried, but people just thought I was crazy.

Back in El Salvador when I was 12 years old, a couple of classmates did become interested in one of my conscripts, so I taught it to them and sometimes even wrote a bit among ourselves in it now and then. :) But I didn't really tried to convince them to learn it or anything.
Neqitan

Postby Caenwyr » Tue 19 May 2009 8:03 am

sokuban wrote:I really need to find out how you people find people other than yourself who are even remotely interested enough to bother deciphering secret messages. >_>

I tried, but people just thought I was crazy.

I have the exact same problem Sokuban! I managed to make my girlfriend allow me to explain one of my scripts one day... she still hasn't recovered :lol: . So if I want some real response, I'll have to post my newest conscript here one of these days. Ye be warned!
Native: Dutch
Fluent: English, French
Learning: Swedish (when I have the time and the energy)
Creating: Arain
Caenwyr

Postby Serali » Sun 16 Aug 2009 7:45 pm

E for me.

But mainly I use alot of them for my journals.....I love the mysterious look it all. I have over 100. :shock: Yes yes I know I need help.....:P

Thanks for this topic.

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby gsteemso » Sun 27 Sep 2009 5:34 pm

I only have one, which has substantial overlap with Latin. I use it for writing in my journal and for amusing myself during long ferry rides et cetera.

Reading this thread has got me all fired up to invent more. We are such a collection of geeks! :¬)
The world’s only gsteemso
gsteemso

Postby Serali » Sun 27 Sep 2009 8:19 pm

We are such a collection of geeks! :¬)

Yes we are. :mrgreen: Post pics of your script too I especially would love to see it.

I'll have to post my newest conscript here one of these days

Do it and I promise you you'll get a response.

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby gsteemso » Mon 28 Sep 2009 6:58 pm

Serali wrote:Post pics of your script too I especially would love to see it.

I’ve been trying to arrange this, but am hampered by 2 problems — (1) No scanner, so I’d need to try and take a legible digital photo of it, and (2) I can’t find the paper that had the longhand version on it. I kinda need to either find or reconstruct that document in order to show you the correct shapes of the letters (they have gone through several changes, some quite drastic).

I think the easiest course of action is to spend a few hours to reconstruct it from memory, then spend more hours with a painting program to show you what it looks like. (Pixel art FTW!) I’ll really have to solve the scanner problem if I want to show you the longhand version, though — which I was quite proud of; it didn’t look half bad, considering the lousy longhand form I was taught in school (see other thread on this forum).
The world’s only gsteemso
gsteemso

Postby formiko » Mon 28 Sep 2009 11:02 pm

Just so you guys know, Tolkien spent 50 yrs inventing Quenya and his scripts, and he wrote his novels ONLY to justify his conlangs and conscripts! The novels were an afterthought. So keep doing what you're doing, and don't worry about anyone else.
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Serali » Tue 29 Sep 2009 6:24 am

gsteemso wrote:I’ve been trying to arrange this, but am hampered by 2 problems — (1) No scanner, so I’d need to try and take a legible digital photo of it, and (2) I can’t find the paper that had the longhand version on it. I kinda need to either find or reconstruct that document in order to show you the correct shapes of the letters (they have gone through several changes, some quite drastic).

I think the easiest course of action is to spend a few hours to reconstruct it from memory, then spend more hours with a painting program to show you what it looks like. (Pixel art FTW!) I’ll really have to solve the scanner problem if I want to show you the longhand version, though — which I was quite proud of; it didn’t look half bad, considering the lousy longhand form I was taught in school (see other thread on this forum).

Hmmm. Well you and I have something in common then because I too need a scanner desperately. Rather I need to get another one as I've had quite a few over the years.

And I do hope that you find a way to post it here. I wish you luck. Also I can't believe that Tolkien spent 50 years working on his languages and pretty scripties! Damn! How many does he have that I haven't seen? I've seen alot.

Not including the obvious. :P But he's one of the conscripting conlanging geniuses. I'm nothing compared to him. No one is really. They can try but he was and is a genius.

Bow Down To The Master! :mrgreen:

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby Declan » Tue 29 Sep 2009 8:59 pm

You'd probably find resources at Ardalambion.
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby Delodephius » Wed 30 Sep 2009 7:27 pm

I made a conscript once. It was a bit unique since I haven't seen any other one like it but one which is also unknown and I don't even know if that was a conscript or some old forgotten script on a piece of stone. Basically, it was written below the line (like Devanagari for example, even though back then I didn't know anything about Indic scripts), all the consonants were written as upper case letters and all the vowels as lower case but quite smaller, almost like dots and commas, but it was an alphabet, not abugida. The reason why I created it, back then, was just for fun, and that no one could read it but me.

I haven't used it for years and I'll probably never will. Once I became familiar with more and more scripts I lost the will to create my own because in my mind no script I invent will have that one thing that I find the most important thing in any script: history. My appreciation for any script is based mostly on the scripts age rather than its looks. Except East Asian scripts.

However, I do have a desire to create a script, but I have no idea how it should look like. All I know is that it should be easy to write, very practical, not too decorative. That is why I like Greek and Tolkien's Sarati. They look just perfect in my eyes. :shock:

The main reason I would create a script would be to write my journals and diaries. I mean, that is just perfect. People make so much effort to hide their diaries, they could just write it in code. I for one would even admire a person who could decipher my scripts (because if I made one it would be complex as hell). Such a person would even deserve to read it! :lol:
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

PreviousNext

Return to Constructed writing systems