Howdy!

The place to introduce yourselves.

Re: Howdy!

Postby Talib » Mon 18 May 2009 7:12 pm

I am not offended at all by somebody being religious and mentioning it (despite being atheist to the core) and I think we should just drop the issue. It's just another fact about someone, like the colour of their hair or what they like to eat for breakfast, albeit more important to them than those things.

Anyway, that's quite an impressive array of languages you've studied. How proficient are you with them? Could you rank them on a scale of 1-10, maybe?
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Declan » Mon 18 May 2009 8:51 pm

Kristie wrote:God IS my relevance in life, thanks :) I would be happy to tell you why, however I seem to be making enough friends as it is, by simply introducing myself (as others have done).
I'm just always curious about people who introduce themselves with references to religion. I also feel that that is a personal relationship, and I've never felt that the Catholic Church (the religion I'm most familiar with) encouraged that God would be the relevance of someone's life, but then I don't really like organised religion that much anyway, I prefer personal spirituality. I wasn't trying to be argumentative, but I understand if it came across that way. So I'll leave that as my last word, but feel free to reply to me if you so wish.

BOT
Kristie wrote:I am fluent in American English, 3 yrs. Spanish, 3 yrs. French, 2 yrs. German, Russian, Greek, Hebrew, Danish, Salish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese,American Sign Language, Cherokee.

How proficient does 3 years make you, and are you at a similiar standard in Spanish and French, and a similiar standard in all the others? Do you find it difficult to learn multiple languages at the same time, or are you trying to learn a bit of everything instead of being fluent in one or two?
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby dtp883 » Tue 19 May 2009 2:40 am

Talib wrote:Anyway, that's quite an impressive array of languages you've studied. How proficient are you with them? Could you rank them on a scale of 1-10, maybe?

Please, I would like to know this too. Thanks.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Kristie » Wed 20 May 2009 3:54 am

ILuvEire wrote:
Kristie wrote:I am fluent in American English, 3 yrs. Spanish, 3 yrs. French, 2 yrs. German, Russian, Greek, Hebrew, Danish, Salish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese,American Sign Language, Cherokee. I am very interested in Native American Languages and study those when I have half a chance. I also greatly enjoy researching lesser known languages and writing systems as well as Historical Linguistics and Semantics. :)

Marry me! :lol:

This is great, another signer and another Danish learner, that makes three of us each!

Oh, WOW!! :) I feel so loved now, j/k
Thanks folks for the nice welcome to omniglot (except Sean that is; way to make me feel welcome man! j/k) :lol:
Kristie

Previous

Return to Introductions