Howdy!

The place to introduce yourselves.

Howdy!

Postby Kristie » Sun 17 May 2009 2:33 am

Hey everybody!
Needless to say my name is Kristie, and I study any, every and all language grammars, dictionaries or informative articles on languages I can get my hands on! I love writing research papers on languages, especially if there is little known about them/it. :) I love talking about languages and having discussions about them for mutual edification. 8-) :D

However I am the most passionate about serving God and living life for Him as best as I can through His strength and what He tells me to do through the reading of the Bible. :D
Kristie

Re: Howdy!

Postby linguoboy » Sun 17 May 2009 4:00 am

Kristie wrote:However I am the most passionate about serving God and living life for Him as best as I can through His strength and what He tells me to do through the reading of the Bible. :D

How's your Koiné?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby dtp883 » Sun 17 May 2009 4:35 am

Kristie wrote:However I am the most passionate about serving God and living life for Him as best as I can through His strength and what He tells me to do through the reading of the Bible. :D

I'm not trying to be rude but I don't see what relevance this has on a language forum. Especially when Jesus or God says to be humble and not boast about how religious you are.

"Those who pray and brag of their holiness will not have a seat in heaven for they already have received their reward"
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Sean of the Dead » Sun 17 May 2009 4:39 am

Thank you for saying something, I was going to, but it would've
made many people hate me. :D
Sean of the Dead

Postby dtp883 » Sun 17 May 2009 5:03 am

I hope people wouldn't hate us for that.
dtp883

Postby Sean of the Dead » Sun 17 May 2009 5:37 am

Well I was going to say something else. :P
Sean of the Dead

Postby dtp883 » Sun 17 May 2009 5:55 am

Sean of the Dead wrote:Well I was going to say something else. :P

Uh...What? (You can PM it to me)
dtp883

Postby Declan » Sun 17 May 2009 2:02 pm

dtp883 wrote:

I'm not trying to be rude but I don't see what relevance this has on a language forum. Especially when Jesus or God says to be humble and not boast about how religious you are.

Or what relevance it has end of story. Surely your life is more than just your religious beliefs?

What languages do you speak or are learning then?
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby ILuvEire » Sun 17 May 2009 7:06 pm

Kristie wrote:Hey everybody!
Needless to say my name is Kristie, and I study any, every and all language grammars, dictionaries or informative articles on languages I can get my hands on! I love writing research papers on languages, especially if there is little known about them/it. :) I love talking about languages and having discussions about them for mutual edification. 8-) :D

Which ones do you study?

However I am the most passionate about serving God and living life for Him as best as I can through His strength and what He tells me to do through the reading of the Bible. :D

Cool, I guess. Religion is quite a touchy subject. Do you know any biblical languages? Maybe you could recommend some resources for Koiné Greek, Biblical Hebrew, or Akkadian.

Welcome to Omniglot!
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Jayan » Sun 17 May 2009 9:39 pm

dtp883 wrote:

"Those who pray and brag of their holiness will not have a seat in heaven for they already have received their reward"

If serving God is truly your greatest passion, and the point of an introduction is to tell about yourself, then who not say it. It is not necessarily boasting to make that sort of declaration. Jesus statement that you quoted is in reference to the Pharisees, a group who practised totally works-based moralism and were pompous asses. It was not a direct statement about Christians professing their faith, which is something we (Christians) are called to do boldly:

For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. - Romans 10:10

Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise-the fruit of lips that confess his name. - Hebrews 13:15

Maybe you're right that that does not have direct relevance to a language forum, but, again, this is an introduction. We're allowed to put anything about ourselves that we want people to know.

I hope I haven't turned everyone in this forum against me now...

EDIT: BTW, welcome to Omniglot, Kristie :)
Native/Fluent: English (on a good day :P)
Pursuing fluency: Dansk
Entertaining self with: 日本語
Up next: русский язык
Eventually: Gaeilge|Deutsch|Kiswahili|Suomi
Jayan

Next

Return to Introductions