Limburgs

The place to discuss endangered languages, and efforts being made to revive them.

Limburgs

Postby Sean of the Dead » Tue 21 Apr 2009 1:27 am

Anyone else want to learn it? Of course, I love most Germanic languages, but Limburgs' tones are just awesome. :D
Sean of the Dead

Re: Limburgs

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 21 Apr 2009 2:45 am

I don't think they have tones, isn't it more like the pitch accent in Norwegian and Swedish? (Some dialects of Danish too I think...)
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Sean of the Dead » Tue 21 Apr 2009 4:31 am

Nope, it supposedly has bonafide tones. ;)
Sean of the Dead

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 21 Apr 2009 4:34 am

Alright, my curiosity is piqued. I'd love to learn some more of this language.
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Sean of the Dead » Tue 21 Apr 2009 5:16 am

That's the spirit! :D
The Wikipedia article is a good start. ;)

I have a link to a Dutch <> Limburgs dictionary if you want it, but if you really want to learn it you'll have to buy a dictionary.
http://www.limburghuis.nl/Interact/menu_wdb.html
Sean of the Dead

Postby Kristie » Mon 18 May 2009 12:38 am

whoa!! What is this language?? I have yet to hear of it!! Sweetness; a new language!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :D :o
Kristie

Postby Caenwyr » Mon 18 May 2009 8:47 am

I don't think it's a language in its own right. In Belgium and the Netherlands it's considered a dialect (though I'm aware of the fact the distinction is quite arbitrary). People speaking Dutch are perfectly able to understand Limburgs (apart from some words that are specific for the region, like Sjoatelsplak for vaatdoek, dish-cloth. But this is a common characteristic of about every (Dutch) dialect I guess), though pronouncing it might pose some difficulties to most. The use of /ʁ/ instead of /r/ and the singing are the easier aspects.

Since Limburgers tend to speak more slowly and singingly it's a common joke among Dutch speaking people to consider them slow-witted. But then again, every dialect has its stereotypes (at least in Flanders). Mine makes me a peasant, for instance. Fun galore when talking with people from all over Flanders!
Native: Dutch
Fluent: English, French
Learning: Swedish (when I have the time and the energy)
Creating: Arain
Caenwyr

Return to Endangered languages and language revival