Salishan linguistic stock

The place to discuss endangered languages, and efforts being made to revive them.

Salishan linguistic stock

Postby Kristie » Sat 16 May 2009 4:30 am

Hey there,
I am writing a paper on Salish, its dialects, sub dialects and sub language families. I have found a dictionary of Lootshootseet from the U of W and some tapes from Spokane Falls Comm. College.
Has anyone by chance heard of any other places where one might obtain info on Salish? Or know anything about Salish?
Thanks!! :D
Kristie

Re: Salishan linguistic stock

Postby formiko » Sat 16 May 2009 4:54 am

Kristie wrote:Hey there,
I am writing a paper on Salish, its dialects, sub dialects and sub language families. I have found a dictionary of Lootshootseet from the U of W and some tapes from Spokane Falls Comm. College.
Has anyone by chance heard of any other places where one might obtain info on Salish? Or know anything about Salish?
Thanks!! :D

Aaah...Lushootseed! A person after my own heart! You are very brave to do a paper on ANY Salish language.
Lushootseed is a member of the Coast Salishan group of languages, spoken in the Puget Sound. Is Spokane Falls near the Puget Sound? My doctorate was in American Indian Linguistics, and my research was on the Tlingit Indians. I lived with them for a year. While Athapaskan or Na-Dené languages bare no resemblance to the Salishan languages, I can be of some assistance. If you are a guy, Salishan langauges make grown men cry. If you are a woman, they may make you a man :)
Is this a high school paper or is it a grad level thesis or dissertation?
Haʔɫ sləx̌il!
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Sean of the Dead » Sat 16 May 2009 6:16 am

I know absolutely nothing about any Native American language (except a couple words of Chinook Jargon), so I can't help, but where in Washington do you live? I live in Renton. (:
Sean of the Dead

Postby Kristie » Sat 16 May 2009 9:54 pm

Hey this is great! So this is a college term paper that I am expanding, because a Salish language class has begun at the comm. college in Spokane. So when I began my 1,000 hrs. + of research I got totally hooked into this stuff and its relations with Chinook Jargon and vice versa. There is not a ton of stuff out there so I want to make this a really good paper with as much info in it as is humanly possible! :)

And oh, I used to live on Whidbey Is., but have since moved to north eastern Wa. :)
Kristie

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 16 May 2009 10:24 pm

Kristie wrote: Or know anything about Salish?

I know that the Salishan languages have some of the most outrageous consonant clusters known to mankind. They make Slavic languages look like Polynesian languages.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Kristie » Sat 16 May 2009 10:34 pm

Google "Tenas Wawa" and a restoration project for a newspaper will pop up about Chinook Jargon. VERY COOL!
Haven't learned much about the consonant clusters yet, but am still searching! :)
Kristie

Postby formiko » Sat 16 May 2009 11:11 pm

Tenas Wawa is very cool. This also might be of interest to you.
http://coastsalishmap.org/start_page.htm
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Kristie » Sun 17 May 2009 2:49 am

Hey that is pretty sweet! THANKS!! :)
Kristie

Postby dtp883 » Sun 17 May 2009 4:47 am

Sobekhotep wrote:I know that the Salishan languages have some of the most outrageous consonant clusters known to mankind. They make Slavic languages look like Polynesian languages.

My attempts to pronounce some of these clusters always end up in inserting schwas between the consonants.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Neqitan » Sun 17 May 2009 5:30 pm

Ack! I remember Vortex had posted a link to some sound files of Nuxálk online in the old forum, when I pointed out one couldn't pronounce those clusters without inserting schwas (I didn't know about syllabifying consonants by then :D ). It was a site mainly aimed at children of speakers of that language, if anyone wants to tackle Google Search for it.
Neqitan

Next

Return to Endangered languages and language revival