La Lingua Praviana [Paute Informacione]

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

La Lingua Praviana [Paute Informacione]

Postby Kartovskiy » Mon 29 Jul 2013 6:52 pm

Worked a few years on making a 'centralized' romance language, one that looked beautiful in its own right, still held the culture of the Romance languages, and was somewhat pleasing to learn and speak. As far as pronunciation goes, the language has a rather mix of both Spanish and French with some spikes of Italian. For the most part, most letters are pronounced in the same way you would if you were speaking Spanish. Some exceptions are 'j' which takes after the French 'j' and sounds like the 's' in pleasure.

Secondly, an e is pronounced like usual as in Spanish however when at the end of a word, and when not following an 'r' the e remains silent. So, for example 'Nacione' is pronounced exactly like Spanish 'Nacion'. However, this isn't evident in the letter when it follows an 'r' at the end of the word. Example would be Amare [Ah-mah-ray] where it assumes its initial sound.

H in Pravene is always pronounced, it is never silent.

ll is pronounced as a 'y' much like in Spanish.

nh is pronounced much like nh in Portuguese or gn in Italian. It's very similar to the sound of 'enye' in Spanish. [The tilde n]

C follows the same pattern as in spanish, k sound before a, o, and u. S sound before e and i.

V and B are rather indistinguishable, both are pronounced as a hard 'v'

One more note, I'm rather horrible at using IPA unfortunately.

-------------------------------

Now then, first things to know. Pronouns.

The singular pronouns in their basic form are as follows.

Eu~I [Yo]
Tu~You [Too]
Il~He [Eel]
Ea~ She [Ay-yah]
Ele~It/Non-Specific [Ehl-ay]

The Plural pronouns are as follows.

Nos~We [Nose] 'soft s'
Vos~You plural [Voes] 'Soft s' NOTE: Pravene lacks the initial T-V distinction. Initially there is no formal way of showing respect when talking to a person regarding the use of the pronouns alone. Vos is always used when referring to a group collectively, never as a formal title of respect.

Eos~They [AY-yohs]

----------------------------------

These are the object pronouns, below are the singular. [Object pronouns are used when the subject is receiving an action, ''He hit me'' me would be an Object pronoun]

Me~Mi
You~Ti
Him~Li
Her~Ia
It~Eli

Plural

Us~Ni
You [pl]~Vi
Them~Os

--------------------------------

The following are possessive adjectives. In Pravene, the possessive adjectives always PRECEDE the noun.

Singular

My~Me
Your~Te
His~Il
Her~Ea
Its~Ele

Plural

Our~Ne
Your[pl]~Ve
Their~Eus [In this form, it is pronounced as 'Yohs']

Possessive Pronouns also follow the same forms from above, however, they follow the noun instead and usually use the word 'de' [of] between the two.

---------------------------------

Nouns in regards to gender

There are three genders for nouns, Masculine, Feminine and Neuter. Although most nouns that do not possess a gender such as a table for example are considered Neuter, they may end in a different ending. This has to do alot with animate and inanimate nouns. All animate nouns will be defined by gender, inanimate can end in one of three, even though its considered neuter. [Since a table can't necessarily hold gender]

Masculine nouns will usually end in a consonant or -o
Feminine nouns will usually end in -a
Neuter nouns will usually end in -u, -e or a consonant. Sometimes they'll even end in -o or -a.

To form plurals in Pravene, the language displays gender as well, the only thing that changes is the addition of an -s. Pravene follows the Western Romance division when forming plurals by such [Unlike Italian and Romanian] Examples:

Can:[Male]Dog
Becomes
Cans:[Male]Dogs

Cata:[Female]Cat
Becomes
Catas:[Female]Cats

Arbule:Tree
Becomes
Arbules:Trees

Tabula:Table
Becomes
Tabulas:Tables

Computadoro:Computer
Becomes
Computadoros:Computers

---------------------------------------

Adjectives. Plain and simple, some adjectives do agree in gender, some do not. They never agree in number. Rossa Casa means Red House, Rosso Can means Red Dog. Adjectives however that end in -e will never change genders, they are considered 'common' 'gender neutral'. Inteligente is a good example. Inteligente Professor~Inteligente Professora

Usually, if an adjective is longer than two syllables, it follows the noun it modifies. Though either way is correct technically.

Adverbs, to form an adverb simply apply -m[i]ente to the end of the word. Some adverbs however such as 'Solo' [Lonely] can be void of that rule and simply drop the ending and add an -o. Very few do this however.

Verbs, They only conjugate completely in the present tense. There are three different verbs, -ar, -er, and -ir. For these examples to cover basic speech, we'll use Amar, Comprender, and Conducir.

Amar[To love:Present tense]

Amo
Amas
Ama
Amamo
Amans
Amant

Comprender[To understand:Present tense]

Comprendo
Comprendes
Comprende
Comprendemo
Comprendens
Comprendent

Conducir[To drive/conduct:Present tense]

Conduco
Conduces
Conduce
Conduciemo
Conduciens
Cunducent

There are a few irregular verbs which I will cover later. Now for the basic past tense. When conjugating a verb into the past tense, you knock off the stem -ar,-er,-ir; and add an -i. Plain and simple, due note that in order for a listener to make sense of what you're saying, you MUST precede a verb in the past tense with a pronoun. Always put an emphasis on the -i.

Amar becomes Ami
Eu ami...~I loved
Nos ami...~We loved

Comprender becomes Comprendi
Tu comprendi...~You understood
Il comprendi...~He understood

Conducir
Vos conduci~You all conducted/drove
Ele conduci~It conducted/drove

The future tense follows the same pattern, instead of lobbing off the stem however, you simply add an -e to the end, and place emphasis on that -e.

Amar becomes Amare
Eu amare...~I will love
Nos amare...~We will love

Comprender becomes Comprendere
Tu comprendere~You will understand
Il comprendere~He will understand

Conducir becomes Conducire
Vos conducire~You all will conduct/drive
Ele conducire~It will conduct/drive

Now the irregular verbs.

The difference between irregulars and regulars is the syllables. If a verb is less than two syllables it will be irregular, however most irregulars follow the same uniformity.

Ser[To be] is an irregular verb because it is a monosyllable word.

In present tense you conjugate Ser as follows.

Soi
Se
Es
Somo
Sens
Sunt

In past tense, you take off the -er and add -evi.

Eu sevi~I was
Nos sevi~We were

In future, it follows the same pattern as regulars.

Eu sere~I will be
Nos sere~We will be

Pravene only has one copula unlike Spanish. That is Ser.

Var[to go] is one of those verbs that follows a very uniform system for monosyllable verbs.

In present tense it conjugates as follows.

Voi
Vas
Va
Vamo
Vans
Vant

In past tense you lose the -ar ending and add -avi

Eu vavi~I went

In future it follows regular verb conjugation.

Eu vare~I will go

[I will add more soon] Feed back is welcome.
Kartovskiy

Re: La Lingua Praviana [Paute Informacione]

Postby locuroso » Sun 22 Sep 2013 5:29 am

So far I like your language. I would like to see a complete alphabet to better help with pronunciation. The choice for the past tense is a little different. Just out of curiosity, have you thought of following French and making a passé composé? I am eager to learn more about this language, it looks promising!
Native language: English Canadian
Intermediate: Spanish
Working Knoledge: French
locuroso

Return to Conlangery