Bilingual conversation

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

Re: Bilingual conversation

Postby choc_pud » Thu 27 Dec 2012 4:04 pm

No-one's posted for like, ages, but this looks like an interesting thread. I once had a conversation with a German where I was speaking German and he was speaking English. And another one the other way around. But both times I did notice that we were speaking different languages.

And a kind of Anglo-French conversation once, but neither of us understood the other, so...

:ugeek:
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg, ydy?
choc_pud

Postby Tikolm » Thu 03 Jan 2013 7:31 pm

Not really, unless you count the occasional Franglais conversations that sometimes take place in my house (we're all native English speakers) and the time I tried Welsh out on my monolingual English-speaking classmate in math. The latter situation sounds pretty ridiculous because it was; he kept saying he'd invented Welsh and such silly things, so I felt like I had to disprove his supposed knowledge of it.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby farangthai » Sat 20 Jul 2013 10:39 pm

Elijah wrote:I think maybe Lao speakers and Thai speakers may be able to converse without too much difficulty.

They actually speak a language known as Isaan which is shared over the Lao/Thai border.
Regards,

Farang Thai
Australian Thai Language Learners Shop
farangthai

Postby census » Wed 04 Sep 2013 11:15 pm

I think there are many children of immigrants in America and Europe and, most probably, in other parts of the world who speak to their parents in the official language while their parents respond in their own native/mother tongue
census

Postby linguoboy » Fri 06 Sep 2013 5:01 pm

census wrote:I think there are many children of immigrants in America and Europe and, most probably, in other parts of the world who speak to their parents in the official language while their parents respond in their own native/mother tongue

In high school, I had a friend from Kerala. His parents would actually speak to him in a mixture of Malayalam and English and he'd reply in English. It was so natural to him, he didn't even notice which language they were using at any given time unless there was a non-Malayalam speaker in the vicinity looking confused.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Previous

Return to General chat