Translate Article 1...

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Translate Article 1...

Postby hoeroathlo » Mon 24 Jun 2013 12:16 am

In English
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."

In Quenta
ki'melona icava sema gisa cia quela ma soven siha igusa. vé veant yavé mersa cia dotana cia kihari dus ivato mia naxoré amé pasriti ga gie yast.

pronunciation:
key-mel-ow-na ee-ca-va se-ma gee-sa key-a que-la ma so-ven sy-a ee-goo-a-sa. vay vee-ant ya-vay mer-sa key-a ky-ar-ee doos ee-va-toe nax-oray amay pas-ree-tee ga gee ya-st

pronunciation of letters
g-as in a french "j" like Jambon
h-after a letter makes any letter be pronounced as in it letter name
hoeroathlo

Postby Mimir » Fri 09 Aug 2013 9:24 pm

Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in potential international auxiliary language 'Jufasi':

Sihomo nasecal frid et ihal dignitec et ijoc. Resevecal rizab et koznanib et facopani kum spiritub filiazh.

In the I.P.A.:
sihomo naset͡ʃal frid et ihal dignitet͡ʃ et ijot͡ʃ. resevet͡ʃal rizab et koznanib et fat͡ʃopani kum spiritub filiaʒ.
Mimir

Postby qwerty12302 » Sun 23 Feb 2014 4:43 pm

Im Strachte:
Alt Humanez est borne fre unt ekwoll im Trave unt Rechtz. Wez est undwet met Rutzn unt Kontzien unt schelt velt til odra odratz im Spretze ew Wrüdrer.
Natives:Suomi (Finnish), 中文 (Chinese)
Learning:English, Français (French)
Can read:Magyar (Hungarian), Deutsch (German), العربية (Arabic) and many other languages
Conlangs:Germanoška jázik, Südürafı tılı, Strachte
qwerty12302

Postby choc_pud » Thu 27 Feb 2014 7:30 pm

In my conlang Northlandic:

"Al se mannen es bornt frij an alijk in gutfolliche an rijten. Dij es begijft mis tijnkfollen an belernend an musse beës mis al mannen in e veg o bruderfolliche."

Vij tijnk ve?
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg, ydy?
choc_pud

Postby xadrezo » Tue 04 Mar 2014 1:35 pm

In C(z)uimese:

"Todaas umanos zun nasada libra ge igual em dignu ge jeçadee. Iu han recebù raçanium ge conçaberadem ge uçu siem em unæ espiritu ermanadis."

['todɐ:s ʉ'manʊs zʉn nɐ'sadɐ 'libɾɐ ʒɛ ɪ'gʷaɫ ɛn 'diŋnʉ ʒɛ ʒɘ'sadɘ: / jʉ ˀɐn ʀɘsɘ'bu ʀɐ'sanʲʉn ʒɛ kʊnsɐbɘ'ɾadɘn ʒɛ ʉsʉ sʲɘn ɛn 'unɛ ɘs'pirɪtʉ ɘɾmɐ'nadɪs]

Guess what kind of conlang this is!
xadrezo [ʃɐdɾezu]

INSTITUTO PIERO: SIMPRA NELFALIBILE
PEAR TREE INSTITUTE: ALWAYS INFALLIBLE

Native German
Conversational English
Basic Spanish, Portuguese, Talossan
Really damn basic Latin, Esperanto?
My conlangs Czuimese, +1984 (appr) more
xadrezo

Postby Täzari » Wed 07 May 2014 2:38 pm

choc_pud wrote:In my conlang Northlandic:

"Al se mannen es bornt frij an alijk in gutfolliche an rijten. Dij es begijft mis tijnkfollen an belernend an musse beës mis al mannen in e veg o bruderfolliche."

Vij tijnk ve?

I like it! Was Dutch the inspiration for you language? I ask it because I see some similarities in writing.... You should put glosses under the words! =)

And, for everyone to read, this is the translation of the text into lözusöteli:

Śuśśæ lælgalet letzon næmakæ a ugånet ræglæśo a rækæśśoi. Är rijeśæ këgolku a bitzeelfeś a danegætzikedumþi enskos saktinos tsækæśil khejannelfeś.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Täzari

Postby choc_pud » Thu 08 May 2014 6:43 pm

Aye, it were inspired by Dutch, English and Frisian, particularly West Frisian. Glad you can see the similarities! Here is a word for word translation:

"All the men are born free and alike in goodlivingness and rights. They are begiven with thinkful and belearnèd and must be with all men in a way of brotherfulness."

I quite like Dutch orthography, so that had a major impact on what Northlandic looks like.

I can't make out your conlang, Lözusöteli... what is it based upon? The orthography is largely Germanic, with the addition of s-acute, and there seems to be a large variety of noun case endings. Also I notice you have no initial consonant clusters (assuming <ts> represents and affricate and <kh> a fricative or aspirated voiceless velar stop); and the letter <þ> seems to represent a rather marginal phoneme, only appearing once in your example.

So where did you draw your inspiration from? Going by the text in the one post of yours I have read I would guess you are a native English speaker, which would account for an apparent fondness for Germanic languages of which I am also guilty!
choc_pud

Postby Täzari » Fri 09 May 2014 4:16 pm

Thank you! That was insightful!

Actually I'm not a native speaker of English, I'm Italian and Italian was one of the languages that inspired me the structure of lözusöteli, other influences come from Icelandic, Japanese, ancient Greek and English... So I cannot consider myself very fond in Germanic languages! =) As for the phonemes, I tried to create a language that doesn't sound like any other.... But I don't know if I've managed to do that! =)
There are actually consonant clusters at the beginning of words like "gk", "þk", or the ones you noticed "kh" and "ts". Most of them are simplified into one sound (like "gk" that is read as "k" or "kh" read as a an aspirated occlusive) but some of them (like "þk") are actual clusters.

I'm really glad you found some time to read my posts and I hope to receive further comments along with the possibility to know more about your Northlandic! I also enjoy the fact that both our conlangs are linked to a nordic culture.... Lözusöteli, in fact, means "language of the land of snow"!
Ræhaktæśede enśké är hvå debbéś lit kæbbtera.

#English, #Italian, #Japanese, #Icelandic, #Sanskrit, #Ainu, #Nivkh, #Russian
Täzari

Postby choc_pud » Fri 09 May 2014 5:22 pm

Oh really? Well, you speak very (or write) very good English for a non-native speaker. Good show! :D

I doubt you'll ever be able to create a language which sounds unlike quite any other, as there are so many! But, going by the examples you've given alone, I would say that it definitely sounds unlike any of the more well known language (with perhaps the highest affinity being to Finnish).

Those are very complex consonant clusters you're using, particularly for word initial position; what is the phonotactic set-up for Lözusöteli? The phonotactical constraints of Northlandic are really the same as Dutch, German, Frisian and English.

Land of snow, ey? Sounds like rather a chilly place! Northland is, obviously, in the north, somewhere in the far north of Europe. I've actually not done much more with it since a few months ago, but I shall let you know if I do. I was finding it rather too similar to English and Dutch, in my opinion. :)
choc_pud

Postby Täzari » Fri 09 May 2014 6:12 pm

choc_pud wrote:Those are very complex consonant clusters you're using, particularly for word initial position; what is the phonotactic set-up for Lözusöteli? The phonotactical constraints of Northlandic are really the same as Dutch, German, Frisian and English.

You're right! There are so many it's pretty impossible! XD
Well, I must admit I have never set up phonotactic rules for Lözusöteli... There are a lot of vowels and the consonant clusters are not so frequent as they appear... The syllable structure can be V, CV, VC, CVC, CCV, VCC or more rarely CCVC or CVCC. Words were three consonants are next to each other are very rare and in that case one of the consonants is always a nasal, a sibilant or a liquid. In the case of a nasal, rarely, this nasal consonant is the one bearing the accent, becoming so a nasalized schwa (for example the comparative grade of the adjective mül "good" - pagnteri "better" is one of these cases. It is pronounced [pa'gə̃teri]).
Ræhaktæśede enśké är hvå debbéś lit kæbbtera.

#English, #Italian, #Japanese, #Icelandic, #Sanskrit, #Ainu, #Nivkh, #Russian
Täzari

PreviousNext

Return to Conlangery