Vinescript (working title)

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

Vinescript (working title)

Postby matterhorn731 » Fri 19 Jul 2013 3:50 am

Hello all!

As this is my first post, some introductions are in order. I'm a fairly casual conlanger, mainly interested for purposes of sci-fi/fantasy worldbuilding. I've dabbled a bit since I was a kid, but I've only made systematic attempts in the last couple of years. I don't have a conlang developed enough to share just yet, but I did recently develop a nice looking con-script that some people have suggested I share online. Hence this.

I was basically interested in coming up with an artistic alphabet usable for English. I've always found the idea of an alphabet based on a vertically written line to be elegant and exotic, so I decided to go with that. While designing it I had the idea of making the vowels and consonants distinctly different from each other; hence consonants are written as loops on the continuous vertical line while vowels are dashes and curves made across the line after the vowels are written.

The chart for the various symbols is below.
(apologies for slightly big image and slightly sloppy handwriting)

[Sample Text Reads: This is a sample tekst for mi yet unnamed skript in which konsonants are loops along a vertikal line akross which vowels kut and which is read from top to bottom and from left to right.]

You'll notice there's not a one-to-one correspondence with the Latin alphabet. While I did want to be able to write English, I didn't necessarily feel the need to keep some of the "duplicate" letters present in English and wanted to give unique symbols to common English sounds not represented in the Alphabet. As such, I've removed C (use K or S) and Q (use KW) while adding Th, Sh, and Ch. Also, since Y is clearly a consonant and not a vowel in the script, any vowel use of Y should be replaced with an I. Aside from this, spelling is pretty much normal English.

You may also notice a large number of mirror image letters. These represent voiced and unvoiced consonants. The voiced version loops towards the right, while the unvoiced loops towards the left (though T and D might initially look backwards, they do have the proper mirroring in the small lower loops). You may also notice that some of the letters without mirrors are derived from other letters, such as R being an inverted D. I tried to do this in a way fairly consistent with the positioning of the tongue in the mouth (let me know if it worked alright).

I have some ideas for punctuation and numerals, but they need a bit more work before they're ready to share. I also have the idea to derive a print from this (as opposed to the cursive that now exists) and possibly to associate it with an as yet not started conlang (I have an idea where in the sci-fi worldbuild I've got it would fit, but not much actual idea about the language), but those will take even more time.

Lastly, the image calls this a yet unnamed script, but I'm tentatively calling it Vinescript in honor of a friend who declared that the writing looked like vines. Maybe that'll be "canonized" in the conlang by people referring to cursive as vinescript or something. We'll see.

Feedback is appreciated! This is the first con-script I've done since probably middle school or early high school, so I'd much appreciate some other people's thoughts on it.

(Also, if anyone wants to write up something in Vinescript and post a picture, I'd love to test how well I can read it for things I could not possibly use my memory to cheat on. :P)
It's probably pretty natural for a Third Culture Kid to have an interest in languages considering the increased exposure we get to them compared to most other people.
Now mix that with sci-fi/fantasy nerdiness... :P
matterhorn731

Re: Vinescript (working title)

Postby matterhorn731 » Fri 19 Jul 2013 9:25 am

NOTE: I just realized I posted this in the writing systems section instead of the constructed writing systems section... my bad! If an admin could move this or something that'd be great.

EDIT: Also, out of curiosity is it possible to edit OPs and topic titles, etc?
It's probably pretty natural for a Third Culture Kid to have an interest in languages considering the increased exposure we get to them compared to most other people.
Now mix that with sci-fi/fantasy nerdiness... :P
matterhorn731

Re: Vinescript (working title)

Postby linguoboy » Fri 19 Jul 2013 9:20 pm

I find the correspondences a kind of odd compromise between letter-for-letter and phonemic which serves neither purpose well.

Have you seen the Shavian alphabet? You may not like the letter shapes, but the analysis they're based on might be of some use.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Return to Writing systems