3 Easiest Languages in my opinion - Post your list now!

The place to discuss learning languages

3 Easiest Languages in my opinion - Post your list now!

Postby vbestic » Fri 05 Jul 2013 3:39 pm

1) Spanish
2) English
3) French

I want to hear your toughs - What are top 3 easiest language to learn in your opinion?
vbestic

Re: 3 Easiest Languages in my opinion - Post your list now!

Postby linguoboy » Fri 05 Jul 2013 3:50 pm

It's completely dependent on the languages you are already familiar with. In Germany, I knew a Dutch speaker who found speaking German almost as easy as speaking his native language, whereas English was considerably more difficult for him. I imagine a native speaker of Chinese would find English easier than Spanish because the grammar is more similar. And so forth. It's impossible to make a definitive list.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Makinary » Wed 24 Jul 2013 2:05 pm

I have so little experience with languages that I can't give a good answer for this question.

Well, how linguoboy said, if language to be studied is similar to the mother tongue of the student, so, in theory, the learning will be more easy.

A factor must be considered, the clarity of the grammar of the language, I learned esperanto in six months because its grammar is regular; some people says that the formal indonesian can be learned in six months too because its grammar is very regular.
Makinary

Postby linguoboy » Wed 24 Jul 2013 7:15 pm

Makinary wrote:A factor must be considered, the clarity of the grammar of the language, I learned esperanto in six months because its grammar is regular; some people says that the formal indonesian can be learned in six months too because its grammar is very regular.

I think an important factor in both cases is that the number of L2 speakers far outnumbers the number of L1 speakers (by several orders of magnitude in the case of Esperanto and by a factor of about 6:1 in the case of Indonesian). That provides a break on the amount of idiomaticity that can creep in.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby mdchaskar » Wed 31 Jul 2013 4:09 pm

:roll: Of course, it's English.

Anybody wish to have conversation prctice ? you are Welcome.

vbestic wrote:1) Spanish
2) English
3) French

I want to hear your toughs - What are top 3 easiest language to learn in your opinion?
mdchaskar

Postby Rexcoder » Mon 12 Aug 2013 10:56 pm

I'm a native Dutch-speaker.

1) German
2) English
3) Spanish
Native: Nederlands
Fluent: Français, English, Español
Beginning-Intermediate: Português, Deutsch
Conlang: Olea
Rexcoder

Postby daniel84 » Mon 26 Aug 2013 10:08 am

I wouldn't say that the French is one of the easy language to learn, but I definitely confirm that the Spanish language is one of the easiest to learn.. :)
Start to learn American English with Saundz!
daniel84

Postby flootzavut » Mon 14 Oct 2013 12:29 pm

Too many factors go into what makes a language easy or hard for any given person. There simply isn't an objectively easiest or hardest language.

As a native English speaker: I studied French for 8 years, up to the first year of my uni course. I dropped it in favour of Russian which I had at that point been learning for a year and had actually failed one of my first year modules and was having to retake it.

However, Russian from the start made much, much more sense to me, and I knew that it would be harder to actually improve my French (having just spent a year getting more and more confused) than it would be to get up to speed with Russian.

I went on to get a 2-1 in Russian, despite struggling with illness throughout my uni career. Clearly, a good move!

For me, Russian made a hundred times more sense than French, and it was therefore "easier" for me, despite the different alphabet, despite never having used cases before, despite aspect (yikes) and verbs of motion (double yikes), despite that I had been learning French for seven years before I had ever even seen a word written in the language.

English tends to be easy to get by in/be understood, it's not especially easy to be truly fluent and nuanced, and we also have an enormous vocabulary. I've met dozens of people from all over the world who would say they speak English, and I can think of literally only one whose English was really as fluent and correct as she thought it was!

When I learned Croatian, that was coming off a year being in Russia, so it seemed very easy to me. Arabic I found incredibly difficult to teach myself even a little: Hebrew I've made quite a bit of progress, although they're very closely related languages.

Even with constructed languages, a person's mother tongue will influence how easy or hard they find it. I'm finding Esperanto fairly user friendly, but then, it's written in a script I've been using for thirty years, its vocab and grammar are drawn largely from languages I've studied to some degree, and I'm comparing it directly to my other most recent attempt, Hebrew! Given the circumstances, it's not surprising I'd peg it as being relatively easy.

Languages which came most naturally to me? Russian, Croatian, Esperanto. But those are very specific to me, I don't think those languages are easy per se, that others would have the same experience, or even that it's possible to judge any given language as objectively easier or harder than other.
Fluent: English, rusty Русский
Learning: עברית, Esperanto
Previously learned/would like to brush up: Hrvatski
Bits and pieces of various other languages!
flootzavut

Postby doodoofan » Wed 17 Sep 2014 10:17 am

I don't think there's such thing as an easy language. I was having a conversation about languages the other day with my friends and they said that Japanese and Korean are very easy to learn. I disagreed and we had an argument. When I told my Korean roommate about it, she said that she doesn't think Korean is easy at all even though she's Korean. Not to mention, Korean and Japanese are among the most difficult languages to learn in the world.

In my opinion, the easiest language to learn is my mother tongue. All other languages are difficult. :D
Learn English with free practice tests at http://englishtest4you.com
Learn Japanese with free practice tests at http://japanesetest4you.com
doodoofan

Postby choc_pud » Wed 17 Sep 2014 9:12 pm

Obviously your first language'll make a difference, so for me the easiest (out of the ones I've tried) are probably:

1. Danish
2. German
3. French

Possibly followed then by Dutch and Russian. But I haven't tried Swedish or Norwegian yet, so if I had a go at them I imagine I'd find them easier than Danish, because of the pronunciation.

:]
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg, ydy?
choc_pud

Return to Language learning