Warsh?

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

Re: Warsh?

Postby Dillon D » Thu 14 Jan 2010 5:21 pm

I don't really have a theory as to why this is mispronounced as such, but here are my observations of whom I've heard it from:

It appears that mainly the older generation (appx. 40+ (no offense to anyone in this age group :oops: )) say warsh. I really haven't heard it from the people my age that I know. My father is from Iowa, and both he, his parents, and his cousins (again, same age or older), all mispronounce this. My older family from Texas all say this. My much older cousin uses this mispronunciation, I believe he grew up in the southwest, Arizona, New Mexico, etc. My friend's father was born in New Jersey, and spent several years in I believe his early adolescent years in Peru. He too says warsh.

So if I may be so bold as to suggest this appears not to be related to geography as demographics (more specifically, age grouping). Does anyone else find that this may be an accurate theory?
My languages:

Native: English
Semi-fluent: Español
Learning: русский язык, Gaeilge
Learning bit by bit: Deutsch
Dabblings: Français, Italiano, Esperanto
Interests: العربية, עברית, Brezhoneg, Cymraeg
Dillon D

Postby Kristie » Tue 02 Mar 2010 4:30 am

There are A LOT of people in WA. St. whom I've heard say 'warsh' and my Dad says 'crick' for 'creek' and he's from S. OR. :) I've also heard a fair amount of people who say 'febrar' for 'febuary'.
Kristie

Postby formiko » Tue 02 Mar 2010 5:58 am

I say (and most people in the NY state tri-state area) say Febyoowery for February :)
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby GoobLanger » Wed 28 Jul 2010 4:32 pm

I too live in Washington, and can confirm that many people pronounce it 'warsh'. I am one of those who pronounce creek 'crick', and have even won a Knowledge Bowl based on this pronunciation :D.
Phn'glui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
GoobLanger

Postby justin » Fri 30 Jul 2010 3:30 am

I'm not just familiar with the "warsh" accent. I have the "warsh" accent. And I HATE the word "warsh," but I have to consciously say /waS/ rather than /war\S/, because it's the accent I'm surrounded by.
(I'm from Texas, incidentally.)

Another good South-ism, by the way: "fling a cravin' on" means "to cause another person to want a particular food, either by eating said food or by talking about it." Thankfully, my vocabulary has managed to avoid acquiring this little phrase, mostly because this is an old-folks-ism.
justin

Postby Tikolm » Wed 19 Sep 2012 3:42 am

I've heard of "bananer", but not "warsh". I also thought that some non-rhotic dialects of English tended to stick r's where they weren't.
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby mousefire55 » Sun 09 Jun 2013 9:52 pm

I'm from northern Illinois (Chicagoland-ish), and I say warsh 'cause my mother's side o' the family says warsh - they're all from south o' the Mason-Dixie line :)
Near-fluent: Español
Learning: Lingua Latina, Deutsch, Русская, Čeština
Wants to learn: Gàidhlig, Mongɣol kele
My conlangs: Síyähärä, Ekeçpağoli

My Conlangs Website:
https://sites.google.com/site/yaharabooklang/home
mousefire55

Previous

Return to General chat