Sibilant vs. Non-Sibilant

The place to discuss learning languages

Sibilant vs. Non-Sibilant

Postby mousefire55 » Sun 09 Jun 2013 1:45 am

Though this is unrelated to learning one specific language, I'm confused as to the difference between sibilant and non-sibilant fricatives, can anyone please explain to me the difference? Thank you!
Native: English
Near-fluent: Español
Learning: Lingua Latina, Deutsch, Русская, Čeština
Wants to learn: Gàidhlig, Mongɣol kele
My conlangs: Síyähärä, Ekeçpağoli

My Conlangs Website:
https://sites.google.com/site/yaharabooklang/home
mousefire55

Re: Sibilant vs. Non-Sibilant

Postby linguoboy » Mon 10 Jun 2013 3:41 pm

mousefire55 wrote:Though this is unrelated to learning one specific language, I'm confused as to the difference between sibilant and non-sibilant fricatives, can anyone please explain to me the difference? Thank you!

I take it you've read the relevant Wikipedia article and you still have questions? What are they?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Re: Sibilant vs. Non-Sibilant

Postby mousefire55 » Mon 10 Jun 2013 5:48 pm

linguoboy wrote:
mousefire55 wrote:Though this is unrelated to learning one specific language, I'm confused as to the difference between sibilant and non-sibilant fricatives, can anyone please explain to me the difference? Thank you!

I take it you've read the relevant Wikipedia article and you still have questions? What are they?

Quite honestly, the Wikipedia article made little to no note on the differences between the two, and as far as I can tell, the difference might have something to do with tongue position, asimilar to apical vs. laminal, but at the same time, that doesn't seem right. So I suppose my question is what is the pronunciation difference?
Native: English
Near-fluent: Español
Learning: Lingua Latina, Deutsch, Русская, Čeština
Wants to learn: Gàidhlig, Mongɣol kele
My conlangs: Síyähärä, Ekeçpağoli

My Conlangs Website:
https://sites.google.com/site/yaharabooklang/home
mousefire55

Return to Language learning