Language Learning programs

The place to discuss learning languages

Language Learning programs

Postby erikespo » Sun 16 Sep 2012 1:28 am

What language learning programs have you tried and which ones have you found most effective.

Erik
erikespo

Re: Language Learning programs

Postby Rexcoder » Sun 16 Sep 2012 11:49 am

www.memrise.org

Awesome site to learn new languages
Native: Nederlands
Fluent: Français, English, Español
Beginning-Intermediate: Português, Deutsch
Conlang: Olea
Rexcoder

Postby Pax » Fri 26 Oct 2012 2:53 am

a physical teacher is best. but memrise is not half bad.
Native: English
Fluent: None
Intermediate: None
Basic: Español, tlhIngan Hol
Pax

Postby Anoran » Fri 26 Oct 2012 3:05 am

It appears to be http://www.memrise.com
The .org website is an unused domain.
Native: English
Fluent: C++, C, Javascript
Non-Fluent: Spanish
Conlangs: Elysiani, Melkovin, Solmeia, Sorone, Tartaran
Current Projects: Multiple conlangs & conscripts, Voynich Manuscript translation
Anoran

Postby Rexcoder » Fri 26 Oct 2012 1:15 pm

Sorry!
Native: Nederlands
Fluent: Français, English, Español
Beginning-Intermediate: Português, Deutsch
Conlang: Olea
Rexcoder

Postby toscar » Fri 07 Dec 2012 10:04 pm

I recommend Szótanító PRO2. It's a trial software, but you can use your own dictionaries.
http://www.honlapsziget.hu/Cikk.aspx?cikkid=11&lang=2
toscar

Postby AnitaRai » Mon 10 Dec 2012 5:34 am

Each language learning program has its own teaching philosophy, and that is important to know.

For instance, Rosetta Stone is based on immersion techniques, and they don't have explanations in English, because you are supposed to figure it out like a baby figures out its native language: images, situations, contextual learning, etc. No real focus on grammar, conjugations, tenses, etc.

Tell Me More is geared toward a comprehensive language learning experience. It has by far the most learning material of all the language learning programs.

Fluenz is great, beautiful, well-designed, thoughtful, and totally opposed to the Rosetta Stone technique. They only offer a few languages at the moment though.

Rocket Languages is great for beginners, and for those on a budget. It has a lot of features that much more expensive programs don't have, for example. Like language learning games to drill you on verb tenses, or vocabulary, for instance. (Fluenz, which is very expensive like Rosetta Stone, doesn't have that, for example.)

So, depending on what you want, that should help you out.

I hope it doesn't confuse you more!
Check my website for reviews of the most popular language learning software. If you have a different opinion, please let me know!
AnitaRai

Postby gmat2013 » Sat 16 Feb 2013 4:23 am

I just discovered an online program that is pretty good for learning vocabulary. It is called learnalanguage.com I like the simplicity of the program plus its free. George.
gmat2013

Postby lelisel » Thu 06 Jun 2013 12:26 am

You should try Lrngo.com. I I found a perfect language partner there. We meet once a week at a local library and exchange languages. This is my profile, take a look; http://www.lrngo.com/online-tutors/hous ... 70/teacher
lelisel

Postby daniel84 » Wed 21 Aug 2013 1:27 pm

Well, when this kind of question is asked: "What language learning programs have you tried and which ones have you found most effective." it is obvious that there is no real answer, only variations.. First of all, there are English grammar, English vocabulary and English pronunciation, and they represent unique segments of English language, where they can not function separately.

The ideal situation is when someone have the equal knowledge of all three segments and he/she knows how to use them. But unfortunately that is not a case, there are many who have vocabulary knowledge and/or grammar knowledge, but they need English pronunciation practice to use complete the circle and to become a true English speaker. Of course, there are those who have zero knowledge of all three segments

That's why engineers developed programs/software/applications by segments of English language, where user can easily choose required program to compensate for what it lacks in his/her English knowledge..

There are all kind of English teaching programs, one of them are really good, others are average or bad. The important thing is to have a wise choice!!
Start to learn American English with Saundz!
daniel84

Next

Return to Language learning