Hwæ Lān

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Hwæ Lān

Postby benny335 » Wed 22 May 2013 1:56 am

Okay, so I'm trying to construct a Co-lang that somewhat resemble Old English... Just not as complicated... Here's what I've got so far:
Nouns:
Hwæ= Modern
Lān= Language
Kyning= King
Ðæ= God
Ic= I
More to come
Verbs:
Ðæm= Go
Bānm= Forbid
Hȳðm= Speak
Conjugations:
Present Pl. Future Past Ing* To
Bānmc Bānmð Bānmþ Bānmyn Cu Bānm
*When I say Ing, I mean it's continual... So if you speak a language, for example, you would use Ing.
Example Sentences:
Ic hȳðmyn Hwæ Lān.
I speak the modern language.

I'll post the pronunciation A.S.A.P.
benny335

Re: Hwæ Lān

Postby linguoboy » Wed 22 May 2013 9:48 pm

benny335 wrote:*When I say Ing, I mean it's continual... So if you speak a language, for example, you would use Ing.
Example Sentences:
Ic hȳðmyn Hwæ Lān.
I speak the modern language.

So what's the difference between:

Ic hȳðmyn Hwæ Lān.

and

Ic hȳðmc Hwæ Lān.

?

Also, how do you pronounce a cluster like ðmc?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby benny335 » Thu 23 May 2013 12:55 am

The difference is dependent upon the noun... For example, a language is something you speak for your whole life. On the other hand, you can only eat an ice cream cone once before you have to get another... As far as pronunciation goes, its pronounced like a voiced "th" (English "the") then you just say the m sound paired with the sh sound...
benny335

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Thu 23 May 2013 2:33 am

linguoboy wrote:
Also, how do you pronounce a cluster like ðmc?

Very carefully. :-)
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby linguoboy » Thu 23 May 2013 5:25 pm

benny335 wrote:The difference is dependent upon the noun...

Does this mean that the sentence Ic hȳðmc Hwæ Lān is actually ungrammatical? If the distinction is wholly signaled by the noun in question, it seems awfully unnecessary to have two distinct verb conjugations as well.

benny335 wrote:For example, a language is something you speak for your whole life. On the other hand, you can only eat an ice cream cone once before you have to get another...

Except you have to learn languages--you aren't born speaking them--and you can forget them as well (or lose the knowledge or the ability to speak them due to stroke, throat cancer, etc.).

Moreover, you're not speaking it continually your whole life. Humans spend far more time not speaking than speaking--just as they spend far more time not eating ice cream than eating ice cream. But a predisposition to eat ice cream is a continual state of affairs, just as the ability to speak a certain language is.

So I'm still not clear what sort of aspectual distinction you're trying to draw here.

benny335 wrote:As far as pronunciation goes, its pronounced like a voiced "th" (English "the") then you just say the m sound paired with the sh sound...

Are you yourself able to pronounce the cluster you've just described?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby benny335 » Mon 27 May 2013 8:19 pm

It's not too difficult if you take it slowly then speed it up... Sorry I don't have the pronunciation up yet... Been outrageously busy lately.
benny335

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Mon 27 May 2013 10:03 pm

t looks like it bounces all around the mouth and nose and switches from voiced ot unvoiced. That's Georgian-level difficulty.
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby benny335 » Tue 28 May 2013 8:35 pm

Here is the pronunciation of that cluster:
hyːθmtʃ
(Trying to figure out IPA)
(I don't know if this is correct however)
Basically, it's: h+German ü+voiced th+m+sh
Standard English pronunciation except for the ü.
benny335

Postby linguoboy » Wed 29 May 2013 4:14 pm

benny335 wrote:Here is the pronunciation of that cluster:
hyːθmtʃ
(Trying to figure out IPA)
(I don't know if this is correct however)
Basically, it's: h+German ü+voiced th+m+sh
Standard English pronunciation except for the ü.

Except English doesn't allow clusters like that.

I know many languages allow nasals to function as nuclei of complex syllables, but I simply can't pronounce [hyːθmtʃ] without inserting a shwa somewhere.
linguoboy

Return to Conlangery