I need help on how to create a font

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

I need help on how to create a font

Postby kaiser » Mon 18 Feb 2013 8:13 pm

Hi there... I hope I'm in the right area for this question... I have an adaptation of the Classic Mongolian alphabet for a semi-phonetic rendering of English. I'd love to share it here, as I think it's one of the most beautiful scripts to write in (even a grocery list looks like a sample of calligraphy), but I've no idea on how to create fonts on a computer. Would folks be willing to give a few pointers or direct me to links that can help?
Thanks a lot.
Jon
~~Koľko reči vieš, toľkokrát si človek~However many languages you know; that much more are you a person~~
kaiser

Re: I need help on how to create a font

Postby Mikhail » Tue 26 Feb 2013 8:12 pm

Hello,
Font creation is a long story. There is no one certain way to create a font. I had made it once around 10 years ago and must say, it was a torture. First I made letters in a vector graphic editor - Adobe Illustrator, then I used a program Fontographer to make up a font for windows, but no matter what combination of setting I used, it always gave me bad results, there were problems with encoding and compatibility in different programs.
By the way there is a program Fontforge, it is a free program, but I can't say much about it, at least it works on my windows 7 computer, but I didn't go far in learning this pogram.
http://fontforge.org/

There are commercial programs like Fontlab, I think the price is measured in thousands dollars.
I personally prefer creating bitmap fonts (just a set of bitmaps). It gives me absolute freedom when I work and I can use any colors for it.
native: Russian
know good: English, German

my constructed alphabet: Scythian
Mikhail

Postby kaiser » Sun 03 Mar 2013 8:48 am

Thanks for the help.... any places you can guide me to as a 'how-to'?
~~Koľko reči vieš, toľkokrát si človek~However many languages you know; that much more are you a person~~
kaiser

Postby Mikhail » Sun 03 Mar 2013 11:53 pm

kaiser wrote:Thanks for the help.... any places you can guide me to as a 'how-to'?

So did you try the site I gave you? There is a good help and tutorial on creating a font and general info on fonts as well.
Or probably at least describe more exact where you face the difficulties.
native: Russian
know good: English, German

my constructed alphabet: Scythian
Mikhail

Return to Constructed writing systems