Idioms in Conlangs

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Idioms in Conlangs

Postby Tikolm » Sat 08 Sep 2012 3:35 pm

Now that I think about it, there is an idiom or two in Leafoosish that is in standard usage:
ffêr yn arianrod - literally, "to do an Arianrhod". It means "to abandon/push away/mistreat", usually in reference to children/kittens, and it comes from Arianrhod's treatment of her son Lleu Llaw Gyffes. (This is not considered very nice to do.)
foler ("to fly") is used idiomatically in the same sense as English "to work" or French "marcher", namely "to function correctly". So if you say es l'fheityr folant, it doesn't mean "*the car is flying" but rather "the car is working".
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby Lord-Ragnarock » Sun 09 Sep 2012 3:32 am

There are a couple of idioms in Meikar. But since the language is still in heavy development, it's not really a focus.

"To give somebody a piece of their death," or "Akh+<person> megan gan Shaonapan<*> bo yezo" is basically fighting words for whoever you imply it to. In English would be pretty much the same as saying "beat the **** outta someone!"

So, "Akhden megan gan shaonapanden bo ayezotei!" is literally "To his possession a piece of his death I will give." or "I will give him a piece of his own death!"

So dem's fahtin' wurds! >:/

*Possession can be implied in two ways, "X gan Y," or "X+pronoun-suffix."
Mother Tongue: English
Knew lots back then: Spanish, French
Learning: Japanese
Basics: Hebrew
Want to Learn: Cherokee
Conlangs: Meikar
Lord-Ragnarock

Postby mousefire55 » Mon 14 Jan 2013 8:11 am

There's a few from Síyähärä:

Ös'rä þäk - literally 'of that time', and usually used to translate 'once upon a time', it's often used to indicate sarcasm or disbelief in the likelihood of an event.

Dän dürnduď šlänø ví hístä/hísta - literally 'the day dances by him/her', meaning the person is not paying attention or is drunk.

Dän Nrätšø zërnön ärgön - literally 'the Gods are [in] abundance' meaning it's not been a nice day.
Near-fluent: Español
Learning: Lingua Latina, Deutsch, Русская, Čeština
Wants to learn: Gàidhlig, Mongɣol kele
My conlangs: Síyähärä, Ekeçpağoli

My Conlangs Website:
https://sites.google.com/site/yaharabooklang/home
mousefire55

Postby Tikolm » Tue 15 Jan 2013 4:30 am

In Tikolmian, dlicos zo lesit (lit. to show/uncover the sun) means "to state the obvious".

For example: Dlicos zo lesit mic i isos sōz si lamotl! [uncover-INF the sun-from to-1PL REL on-2SG need NEG sit/set-3SG.PRS] (There does not sit a need on you to show us the sun = you don't need to state the obvious)
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby hremúldòs » Sat 16 Feb 2013 11:21 pm

I have an idiom(I think) cyadzvnoz pīdzechbvuyan īltrovu -the dark god bites back-karma
hremúldòs

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Fri 15 Mar 2013 3:28 am

I haven't yet worked out most of the idioms in Experimental Conlang A, but I have identified some euphemisms in preparing a Swadesh list and determined that it has both simple compounds and kennings.

On the Swadesh list, "penis" and "testicle" have a formal register used in a medical sense and euphemisms used in everyday

Penis:
Medical: ɹuf-g (m)
Euphemism: dæŋ-p (muscle, m)

Testicle:
Medical: vlaiHa-to (m)
Euphemism: kibik-st (sack, f)

"Excrement" has polite and impolite registers, but no euphemistic meaning.

A sample kenning:

oʔi fju-p oʔifju-p
fly flower butterfly (lit."flying flower")
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby Täzari » Fri 09 May 2014 10:52 am

mousefire55 wrote:
Dän dürnduď šlänø ví hístä/hísta - literally 'the day dances by him/her', meaning the person is not paying attention or is drunk.

I really like this one!

Here are a pair of idiomatic phrases il lözusöteli:

Satzeka as rä mekber. "To fish from two boats" meaning "To want to take advantage from two different situations to assure oneself success in any case" and

Meśśaka salśiner en aþeśki. literally "To hit with pots in the summer" meaning "To make an effort to solve a problem when this problem has already been solved".

This last one is linked to a traditional festival held in Lözusöt every year. Lözusöteli, in fact, is the language of a country located in the far North where, during the winter, the sun never rises for months. In the old days people thought that the sun had forgotten about them and so that it had left their lands, so, the day of the winter solstice, they went out to the seashore armed with pots and rocks and they made a huge noise to be heard by the sun so that to remind it they were still there. This traditionally explains why every year the sun comes back to shine after the winter solstice.
Ræhaktæśede enśké är hvå debbéś lit kæbbtera.

#English, #Italian, #Japanese, #Icelandic, #Sanskrit, #Ainu, #Nivkh, #Russian
Täzari

Postby xadrezo » Tue 10 Jun 2014 1:17 pm

Czuimese has at least one:

nel ezer acçento (lit. to not put the accents)
It means "to only do what is really really damn necessary"
xadrezo [ʃɐdɾezu]

INSTITUTO PIERO: SIMPRA NELFALIBILE
PEAR TREE INSTITUTE: ALWAYS INFALLIBLE

Native German
Conversational English
Basic Spanish, Portuguese, Talossan
Really damn basic Latin, Esperanto?
My conlangs Czuimese, +1984 (appr) more
xadrezo

Previous

Return to Conlangery