What does English sound like?

If you would like names, words or short phrases transliterated or translated, this is the place to make your requests.

What does English sound like?

Postby choc_pud » Wed 13 Feb 2013 1:17 pm

I couldn't see that any of the other topics would've been any better, so I'll post it here:

What does English sound like to those whose first language isn't English? Because I've often wondered. So if anyone cares to comment I'd be much gratified!

:ugeek:
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg, ydy?
choc_pud

Re: What does English sound like?

Postby Sprochamaedli » Thu 09 May 2013 8:20 pm

I heard once it sounds like hissing... ;) But as a native speaker, I think it probably sounds like Dutch or Swedish, because often when I hear those languages I feel like I should be understanding it. Or for a few seconds I think it's English. Otherwise, it might sound a little like Albanian because of the similar phonologies, even though I think the rhythm is different.
наверное мне место на луне, но страшно оставаться в темноте...
------------
Native:English
Proficient: deutsch, schwiizerdütsch, русский язык
Understand a little: français, español, italiano, cymraeg, 한국, and more
Sprochamaedli

Re: What does English sound like?

Postby choc_pud » Fri 10 May 2013 9:45 pm

Aye, I'd heard that as well; also that is apparently sounds like a "babbling brook" (aw, isn't that nice!?). I'll try listening to Dutch or Swedish and see what I think, thanks.

I've looked up about Albanian, and you're right, I've never known a language to have such a similar phonology to ours! Even Scots is very different, though it is largely mutually inteligible with English.

I think the late Stanley Unwin gives a very good inpression of what English sounds like to maybe a German or Dutchman with his "Unwinese", and I've found it quite helpful myself.

:ugeek:
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg, ydy?
choc_pud

Return to Translation requests